• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council Tax and Liability Orders.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council Tax and Liability Orders.

How many liability orders can a council obtain for the same address?
    Tags: None

Re: Council Tax and Liability Orders.

Would you like to give us some background to the question please. :beagle:

Comment

Is it normal to have 12 liability orders for the same address in 4 different account numbers over a 7 year period?

Comment

Erm ........ no! How has this situation come about? Normally, obviously, assuming we're ONLY talking Council Tax, there'd be one LO per property per year, so if no CT was paid for 7 years (unlikely) there'd be 7 LO's.

A/c numbers can change from year to year to ensure monies are allocated to the correct account.

Can you shed more light on the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Wombats View Post
          Erm ........ no! How has this situation come about? Normally, obviously, assuming we're ONLY talking Council Tax, there'd be one LO per property per year, so if no CT was paid for 7 years (unlikely) there'd be 7 LO's.

A/c numbers can change from year to year to ensure monies are allocated to the correct account.

Can you shed more light on the situation?
          Long story, started with us disputing a bill in 2008 and then a catalogue of visits by the bailiffs, multiple AEO's, and now more visits from the bailiffs.

I asked the council for a list of liability orders and was sent a list of 10 for the last 6 years, then I have another for last year and will be getting one shortly for this year which means there will be 12 LO's in total covering 2008- 2014/5.

As most of these have been paid via AEO's and the rest will eventually be turned into AEO's on my wife's wage and paid by the employer, as she is employed where I am self-employed so cannot have an AEO sent to myself I don't think, then we will have easily overpaid by a lot of money with no explanation of where all this money is going to, especially as we have 4 different account numbers.

I am going to be making complaints to the council and the LGO regarding the complete abuse of the legal process for collecting CT, and the MOJ regarding the conduct of the bailiff that visited me recently but need to understand a few things first, especially needed confirmation that 12 LO's over 7 years is suspicious.

Also need a good SAR for CT if anyone can help please!

Comment

I think outlawlgo is probably the man you need for this. He's a real guru on anything CT related. I'd pm him with a link to this thread if I were you.

Comment

Before making any complaints to the council or LGO, you need to ascertain the full facts. You should do this by writing to the council again asking for the following:

1. The date that any LO was obtained.
              2. The tax year that this LO covered
              3. The amount the LO was for & the address that it was for
              4. The amount paid off each individual LO at present
              5. The amount outstanding on each LO at present
              6. Any fees that have been incurred from enforcement action, to include the amount of each individual fee, the date the fee was incurred and the header under Schedule 5 in which the fee fell.

As Wombats has said, one LO covers a complete tax year so from 2008 until 2014, only 6 LO's should have been issued (7 if you count from April 2014 onwards)

It might also pay you to write to the bailiff company direct to ask for a breakdown of fees.

Don't spend too much time dwelling on the account numbers or that its the same address-There seems nothing untoward there. Could you have failed to pay council tax at previous addresses, prior to 2008? This might explain why there are so many LO's

Comment

Yes, I totally concur with that. Going to the LGO wiithout full facts is pointless. Taking the above action will also identify any overpayment you believe you have made.

Comment

You need the full information as to what is going on, so you need the council to tellyou what LOs are subject to AOE, and what has gone to bailiffs, it is entirely possible the council has messed up in some way, as they cannot send bailiffs for an LO covered by an AOE, but their admin may be outsourced to a company called Capita, who also own two bailiff oops EA companies Rquita and Ross & Roberts (robbers). In a Capita situation it is entirely possible they will be applying an AOE and wrongly sending bailiffs to collect the same LO. What council and EA are these please?

I also concur with ST and Wombats that Outlawgo is your man on this

Comment

Still working on this but have just done a check on the bailiffs register and found out that the bailiff that visited me is not on the register.

I now have 2 enforcement notices, one with an unregistered bailiff and one with a registered bailiff.

The first enforcement notice states: Debt: £508.06
                    Court Costs: 0
                    Compliance Fee: £ 75.00
                    Enforcement: £235.00
                    Total due: £818.06

The 2nd EN states: Debt: £583.06
                    Court Costs: 0
                    Compliance Fee: 0
                    Enforcement: £235.00
                    Total due: £818.06

Something very dodgy going on here I think!!!!!

Comment

What date are both notices and are they are both addressed to the same person?

I never 'jump in with both feet' without first checking the facts but something does not seem right with the fees ???

Is there any way in which you can scan a copy of both notices with your personal info removed. This would be most useful.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X