• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

JBW for council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JBW for council tax

I received a demand from council tax for £285 from 2009 they advised they had visited my old poroperty twice p(prior to april) and charged me the additional £42.50, I then paid the council direct the £285 just after the 1st April, now I have a bill for £280 for charges!

Please advise where I should go form here?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: JBW for council tax

A little bit more accuracy on dates is quite critical here.

You need to establish when, exactly you made payment to the council and also when JBW have visited after 6th April. Is this where the demand came from?

If JBW have visited, left a demand and you subsequently settled your account, the charges appear fair and legitimate. It is however difficult to understand the full picture, not knowing the sequence of events or where the demand came from.

Comment

Hi,

I received the demand on the 1st April from JBW, the same day I had posted the payment to the council, the council received it on 2nd April, we sent it registered, but for whatever reason they did not cash it until 14th April..

Comment

You have been caught by the cleared funds trap, as in they have a cheque, but until it is cashed the debt is classed as unpaid. It may be difficult to avoid paying JBW,

Comment

Whilst BB may technically be correct, I would definitely challenge this.

I would write a formal complaint to the CEO of the council. The grounds for the complaint are:

A demand was received from JBW on 1st April. A cheque was posted that day, directly to the council for the amount of the debt. The letter was sent registered delivery and was received by the council the following day.

Section 4.3 of the Guidance to Councils on Good Practice in the Collection of Council Tax Arrears, published by the Department for Communities and Local Government states:
          "Local Authorities should ensure processes are in place to keep bailiffs fully informed about the latest state of the bill payer’s account".

It appears that JBW were not informed about the current status of the account.

It may well be that the council offer to remove the £235 fee on condition that you pay the previous fees of £42.50.

Comment

Good advice ST, Op should challenge nothing ventured nothing gained.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X