• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi all just saying Hi from Christchurch in Dorset, any bailiff experts out there??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi all just saying Hi from Christchurch in Dorset, any bailiff experts out there??

Hi I'm in Christchurch, Dorset and have been separated for 3 years...I have a trail of destruction left behind from my ex and have recently encountered some very stroppy bailiffs on Friday. To what lengths can they go to stop you leaving your property in a car that they claim to have seized literally 2 minutes after they have knocked your door? I was physically blocked on to my drive and he even tried to remove the keys from the ignition. Everytime I moved my car they moved their van to stop me leaving. Surely that is unreasonable? I want to make a complaint about this and want to know the correct channels. It was the first visit I had received and had absolutely no prior knowledge of the debt let alone them visiting. They told me if I insisted in staying in the car when they got it removed I would be arrested. In the end as I was so distressed and I told them that I wasn't in a position to pay etc they left saying my car was under seizure but will let me keep it until I had sent them a reasonable offer to pay over the weekend. I have done so under the advisement of a debt charity and have not heard anything yet today, and I have hidden my car at a friends house for the time being as I need it to work! Should I have had notice of their visit? Any advice appreciated.

Re: Hi all just saying Hi from Christchurch in Dorset, any bailiff experts out there?

Is this your debt or your EX? If theirs and your name doesn't appear on the credit agreement then remind then that the dorset coast is a good place to find fossils and they can meet some friends.

Comment

Re: Hi all just saying Hi from Christchurch in Dorset, any bailiff experts out there?

Haha I said a few harsher words than that!

OK, when we were together over the years we had 2 different limited companies. We took a mobile phone account out in one of the companies many years ago and although I don't remember, apparently we both signed Directors guarantees. That company has since been dissolved. So when we separated I no longer had anything to do with our business as he took it over himself, subsequently ran it to the ground last February and his phone eventually got cut off too. I thought nothing of it. It seems he ran up a debt of nearly 3k with them as he had friends with phones on the account too. They turned up at mine on Friday with my name on this writ too! First I'd heard about it. Apparently they visited him at his Luton address early March, and levied on a van on his drive. He lives at this property which is in his name and he rents out the spare rooms to lodgers. He rang them back and said that he didn't live at the address the van belonged to his tenant who he rented the property to and they should send any further correspondence to MY ADDRESS in christchurch!!! This was the first time they had heard of this address apparently and had been chasing him at numerous others he's lived at since the separation. That's when I found myself in this situation. It seems I can't get out of my liability as my name is on the writ. However as I am on a low income the debt agency advised on what to offer them. I don't know what's happening at the moment as I've heard nothing yet today.

Comment

The problem you have is that if you signed personal guarantees for this they can pursue either of you for the debt. You say the company was dissolved but then go on to say when you left he then ran the company down - can you elaborate?

I'm surprised they gave up so easily with him as they should have asked him to provide proof of ownership of the van. High Court Enforcement Officers don't usually get hoodwinked so easily.

I assume you know nothing of the original CCJ for this? What paperwork have you been left?

Comment

He started up another company and just moved all the clients over to it. He had a cocaine addiction which is why we separated and then got into trouble with it and let the company go until it stopped trading. The phone company were obviously unaware of the change in company as he was originally just paying it each month. I don't know if they managed to confirm the van didn't belong to him themselves. They left a letter through his door and he rang them to say he didn't live there. I know absolutely nothing of the CCJ no. It appears to have been but done at our old office premises in September last year. He hasn't operated from there since 2012 either, so my argument was also that it wasn't served correctly. That being said they have found us and want the money! They have left me with a copy of a notice of seizure just printed on plain paper. No letterhead etc. It is from Andrew Wilson & Co

Comment

What is on the Notice of Seizure - exactly as it says?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X