• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bristow and Sutor Bailiff Visited Gave me til 8pm TONIGHT...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristow and Sutor Bailiff Visited Gave me til 8pm TONIGHT...

I have an old Business Rates bill for about £450.
    Bristows visited my parents house earlier today and said that unless I paid around £666 to them that they would arrange for a Warrant for my arrest to be issued.
    I have tried now to get back in touch with York council as they issued all information to the wrong address (my parents)
    He told me I had to phone him back by 8pm to say yes I am paying it or no I am not and then he will issue the warrant for arrest.
    He will not enter into an agreement.
    Any advice appreciated...hopefully before 8pm...
    Tags: None

Re: Bristow and Sutor Bailiff Visited Gave me til 8pm TONIGHT...

He's talking out his a*sehole.

Comment

Ask him which Rule or Regulation states a Warrant Of arrest may be issued. It is true that a Committal Hearing could be arranged but that is the last in a long line of other issues.

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
      1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
      2 - the dates they were obtained
      3 - the addresses they were for
      4 - the period of time each covers
      5 - how much each one was for
      6 - how much is still outstanding
      7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
      8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

There is no law that says you have to deal with or speak to a Bailiff. Whatever happens do NOT under any circumstances allow him entry. You must also remember Rule No 1.

Bailiffs Lie

You must also find out what he is charging you in fees. Send something similar to this:

"From:
        My Name
        My Address

To:
        Acme Bailiff Co
        Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir

With reference to the above account, Can you please provide me with a breakdown of the charges.

This includes:
        a - the time & date of any Bailiff action that incurred a Fee.
        b - the reason for the fee.
        c - the name(s) of the Bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a Fee was charged.
        d - the name(s) of the Court(s) the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated at.
        e - the date of the Certification.

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully

Ripped off customer"

Comment

Have you also checked to see if he is suitably Certificated?

Comment

Are you in a position to pay the full amount owing to the Council? You could always start by making payment direct to the Council via online banking, Council website or automated phone providing you have the account ref number. You may have to budget extra for lawful Bailiff fees but if he has not gained entry or been able to levy on goods outside then he is restricted to a maximum charge of £42-50 regardless of how many time he comes.

As most Bailiffs can be inventive I wouldn't be surprised if he claims to have made a levy on car out in the street just so he can try and get extra fees. Also for NNDR most businesses are used to being ripped off so extra charges are likely to have been invented.

We are good here though at sorting fact from fiction.

Comment

thank you all very much working through all the above.....!!! Really all helped me!

Comment

Originally posted by peppe View Post
                I have an old Business Rates bill for about £450.
                Bristows visited my parents house earlier today and said that unless I paid around £666 to them that they would arrange for a Warrant for my arrest to be issued.
                I have tried now to get back in touch with York council as they issued all information to the wrong address (my parents)
                He told me I had to phone him back by 8pm to say yes I am paying it or no I am not and then he will issue the warrant for arrest.
                He will not enter into an agreement.
                Any advice appreciated...hopefully before 8pm...
                What a load of bovine manure this bailiff has come up with, a liability order can not be commuted to an arrest warrant if you are capable but refuse to pay.

The bailiff enforcing a liability order is contractually obliged to enter in a payment plan if there are insufficient goods to levy upon, and even if there were sufficient goods then they still can not refuse a sensible (by sensible I mean paid off in 4 to 6 months) payment plan by agreeing to a walking possession, which will add to the cost of the enforcement.
                The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X