• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales

Hi,
    I have received a letter from Rossendals stating that I owe £1241.66 council tax. This is the second letter I have received but this one now states "Final Notice" and that I have 24 hours to pay in full or they will enter my property and removed my effects. They have never stepped into my property or spoken with me, can they force into my property by breaking in?
    I called the council today and they told me that I can only deal with the bailiff's and not to contact the council?

Regards
    Tags: None

Re: Rossendales

The Council are talking drivel. The debt is 100% theirs and although they may have apssed it over for enforcement they are still responsible for it & the actions & charges of their contractor, The letter from the Bailiff has had the desired effect although you have come to seek help instead of paying to them. They cannot force entry to your home if they have not gained peaceful entry previously & have obtained a valid levy. However if you have anything of value outside they may make a levy & even remove what they find - usually a car.

Of course there is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. You may of course pay the Council direct using online banking, Council website or automated phone but you should budget extra for lawful Bailiff Fees which at present stand at £42-50 & providing you deny them the opportunity to make a levy on goods they can charge no more.

Council Tax is a priority debt and you should start making payment even if it is only £5 per week & don't forgey next years bill is about to drop through the door. Is there a particular reason why it has gone unpaid?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
      The Council are talking drivel. The debt is 100% theirs and although they may have apssed it over for enforcement they are still responsible for it & the actions & charges of their contractor, The letter from the Bailiff has had the desired effect although you have come to seek help instead of paying to them. They cannot force entry to your home if they have not gained peaceful entry previously & have obtained a valid levy. However if you have anything of value outside they may make a levy & even remove what they find - usually a car.

Of course there is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. You may of course pay the Council direct using online banking, Council website or automated phone but you should budget extra for lawful Bailiff Fees which at present stand at £42-50 & providing you deny them the opportunity to make a levy on goods they can charge no more.

Council Tax is a priority debt and you should start making payment even if it is only £5 per week & don't forgey next years bill is about to drop through the door. Is there a particular reason why it has gone unpaid?

Hi, thanks for the reply!
      I was made redundant after I had an accident at work then lost my home through the CSA (long story) so was forced to rent and couldn't afford the 1200 a year, I went down to the council only to be told they would help but it would take time. In this time I couldn't afford to live where I was and had to move, I called the council and asked if there was any news on my claim and the woman just snarled and told me claims take a while and that I would hear from them. 4 weeks later I received a letter from them telling me it has gone to court for none payment! After going through a break up, smashing my back in then losing my home, I just went into a depression and ignored everything! I am trying to pick my life up and try and sort my life out then I get these 2 letters!
      I don't have a lot of spare cash as I don't sign on either, I don't claim for benifits as I have tattoo and art skills to help me make enough cash to the next month! It's just this letter today is pushing to the edge and I am getting tired of these bailiffs already after reading the letter today!

Thank you!

Comment

Do you still live in the same Council area?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
          Do you still live in the same Council area?
          My cottage was in one council area then when I lost it I moved to another, then had to move to a cheaper house but in the same area!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit1970 View Post
            Hi, thanks for the reply!
            I was made redundant after I had an accident at work then lost my home through the CSA (long story) so was forced to rent and couldn't afford the 1200 a year, I went down to the council only to be told they would help but it would take time. In this time I couldn't afford to live where I was and had to move, I called the council and asked if there was any news on my claim and the woman just snarled and told me claims take a while and that I would hear from them. 4 weeks later I received a letter from them telling me it has gone to court for none payment! After going through a break up, smashing my back in then losing my home, I just went into a depression and ignored everything! I am trying to pick my life up and try and sort my life out then I get these 2 letters!
            I don't have a lot of spare cash as I don't sign on either, I don't claim for benifits as I have tattoo and art skills to help me make enough cash to the next month! It's just this letter today is pushing to the edge and I am getting tired of these bailiffs already after reading the letter today!

Thank you!
            Do you have anything in writing about these discussion with the Council?

If you do you could copy the lot, send it to Head of Finance and ask them what they are playing at.

If you don't can you remember whn you spoke to councile uncivil servant and their name?

If you do write to the council a polite letter asking why the claim was not progressed as promised.

Unless you are employed or you have declared to HMRC that you are a self employed tattoo artist I strongly advise you to sign on for ESA/JSA, that puts in the "vulnerable" category and then you should be dealt with accordingly.
            The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X