• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Arun DC and Ross & Roberts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arun DC and Ross & Roberts

Got home last Friday to a letter from Ross & Roberts concerning a council tax debt. The amount of debt (handwritten) on the notice is incorrect.Fees shown for first visit and subsequent visits are correct. Letter also states that R&R can enter into a payment arrangement, so I contacted named bailiff about this who told me that there would be a £65 "arrangement fee" which he would like to collect tomorrow afternoon (Monday).Having read up on the forum I wary of allowing the bailiff entry when he returns on Monday. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
    Tags: None

Re: Arun DC and Ross & Roberts

Originally posted by bluemoon55 View Post
    Got home last Friday to a letter from Ross & Roberts concerning a council tax debt. The amount of debt (handwritten) on the notice is incorrect.Fees shown for first visit and subsequent visits are correct. Letter also states that R&R can enter into a payment arrangement, so I contacted named bailiff about this who told me that there would be a £65 "arrangement fee" which he would like to collect tomorrow afternoon (Monday).Having read up on the forum I wary of allowing the bailiff entry when he returns on Monday. Any thoughts or advice would be welcome.
    Do not make any arrangement with the bailiff, he will ask you to invite him in A very bad idea to set it up The £65 will be a levy fee for listing your goods to "secure" the debt and open the door for the Ross 'n Robbers grunt to fleece you.

Pay the council direct using the online system, they cannot refuse payment that way. There is no law that says you must speak to or even deal with a bailiff.

Comment

As Bizzybob has highlighted, Bluemoon, bailiffs cannot always be trusted to be 100% straight with people. As such, a civil enforcement company cannot charge "arrangement fees" as there is no provision for them under Council Tax regulations. He cannot demand you let him in and you should not let him in. Make sure you keep all doors and windows closed and locked and that any motor vehicles you own, including those on finance, are out of reach of his grubby paws.

Follow Bizzybob's advice and make payments directly to the council. It is unlawful for a local authority to refuse to accept payments.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

My Daughter had the same problem in Cumbria a bailiff called and left a note to say he would be back tomorrow and she rung me and i phoned the council and paid £350 with no bailiff fees and she never heard from them again so take the advice iof Bizzybob its your best option

Comment

Thanks for the advice, which confirms my thoughts. Is it worth me getting in touch with the council in respect of the obviously devious and deceitful tactics their agent is using?

Comment

Originally posted by bluemoon55 View Post
            Thanks for the advice, which confirms my thoughts. Is it worth me getting in touch with the council in respect of the obviously devious and deceitful tactics their agent is using?
            If you do contact the council, write directly to the Chief Executive and tell them you will be paying any arrears directly to the Council due to the conduct of their contractor.

You would be wise to copy the letter to -

a. Your ward councillors;
            b. Leader of the Council;
            c. Opposition Leader;
            d. Your MP.

Under no circumstances write to the Council Tax Department, as, being infested with Capita - Ross & Roberts is owned by Capita - it will be suppressed. That is how disingenuous Capita are, though I could use much stronger words than "disingenuous" to describe their modus operandi. The more people who speak out about the sort of treatment you have experienced, tell others and their elected representatives, the sooner the true extent of any malpractice can be assessed and action taken.

Comment

Originally posted by hush puppy View Post
              My Daughter had the same problem in Cumbria a bailiff called and left a note to say he would be back tomorrow and she rung me and i phoned the council and paid £350 with no bailiff fees and she never heard from them again so take the advice iof Bizzybob its your best option
              I bet the bailiff was hacked off he had been deprived of his beer tokens. :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                I bet the bailiff was hacked off he had been deprived of his beer tokens. :grin:
                The bailiff won't be, as because of their action they have pushed the defaulter in paying, the Council will have to pay some fees to the bailiff.......which will be added to all Council tax payers next year....it's only a penny per household Milord!
                Last edited by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge; 5th March 2014, 15:25:PM. Reason: missed letter out, need a new keyboad, donations greatly accepted!
                The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X