• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help pls with Bristow and Sutor bailiff :-(

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help pls with Bristow and Sutor bailiff :-(

ok, very long story short. Council obtained a liability order for non payment of council tax.

Had a visit from the bailiff on Monday last week. I was at home, no knock on the door or anything, just a letter through the letter box telling me about it and saying that no one in their office could discuss it with me and that I could pay in full online. Charged me £24.50 for this.

The very next day, less than 24 hours later, exact same thing. I heard the letterbox go, went to check and there was another letter. This time containing information about what happens next, what my options are etc and charging me £18.

I immediately rang the council to find out how much I owed them, got the exact amount, and paid it by direct bank transfer to the council. They have since confirmed that my account is now clear and I have that in writing.

B&S are now chasing me for their fees and have rung me and written to me advising that my debt is not clear and that I have oustanding council tax in the sum of £42.50 and unless I pay within seven days the bailiff will return and they can seize my goods.

To clarify, as far as the council are concerned, my debt to them is now clear. It is my understanding that once this is the case, the Liability Order ceases to exist? Is this correct?

And if this is correct, on what basis do they have the authority to attend my property and seize goods?

do their fees not become as any other debt in that if they want them, they can take me to court for them?

It may not seem a lot of money but there is a principle here. They have been incredibly underhand about the whole thing and have lied through their teeth when challenged about not knocking on the door or ringing the bell.
    Tags: None

Re: Help pls with Bristow and Sutor bailiff :-(

Bristow & Sutor are well-known for being aggressive and disingenuous and you have discovered this at first-hand. However, the relevant legislation does allow the fees to be charged. Pay the £42.50 directly to B & S and put this behind you.
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X