• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Attachment of earnings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attachment of earnings

Hi guys,

I have been paying several council tax bills for quite some time now via attachment of earnings, and on thursday of last week had a visit from bristow and suitor regarding yet another bill.

I remember reading on here somewhere a template letter to send to the council asking for dates, amounts, which enforcement officers were used etc. It was a very well worded letter with all the information I would like to receive from my council.

My A.O.E has been 37 pounds every week for maybe 15 months and im starting to wonder if I have actually overpaid.

I have looked through the usefull letters thread but cannot find the one which I am looking for.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Tags: None

Re: Attachment of earnings

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
    1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
    2 - the dates they were obtained
    3 - the addresses they were for
    4 - the period of time each covers
    5 - how much each one was for
    6 - how much is still outstanding
    7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
    8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Who are you actually paying via you AoE - Council or Bailiffs?

Comment

Hi ploddertom thanks for the reply.

I'm actually paying it via Jacobs bailiffs.

The council actually refused a voluntary AOE with themselves and insisted dealt with Jacobs which seemed odd at the time.

I'll send a letter asking for all 8 points you mention.

Would there be any charges from Jacobs for the AOE?

Comment

Have you sent off for a breakdown of fees from Jacobs - they can be very imaginative? Use Letter 1 from the Useful letters if you have not already done so. Your employer may charge £1 each time he has to do it.

Comment

One thing you have to remember is that the Bailiffs are permitted to deduct their fees first and any balance is then given to the Council. Have you at any time allowed them access to your home? If so have you been given a Notice of Seizure for any goods they may have levied on? Have you ever been told it would be a condition of them agreeing to anything by coming to your home or it would attract a fee of £XXX.

Don't forget they may only charge those fees allowed by the relevant Regulations which for Council Tax are Schedule 5 Charges Connected with Distress.

Comment

Which council is apparently so determined to enrich Jacobs at the expense of its tax-payers?

Comment

No they have never entered my home I was just wondering if I can be charged say an administration fee or what ever they'd like to call it for setting up this AOE.

it is Kettering borough council, should I write to them first and then to Jacobs?

Would e mail be a good way to send the letters?

Comment

Originally posted by messycess View Post
                No they have never entered my home I was just wondering if I can be charged say an administration fee or what ever they'd like to call it for setting up this AOE.

it is Kettering borough council, should I write to them first and then to Jacobs?

Would e mail be a good way to send the letters?
                Their should be no fee for setting this up but make sure you send off for a breakdown of fees because as said previously the Bailiffs have form for inventive fees that are not allowable. Letters may indeed be sent by email but should always be backed up by a copy in the post.

As for the Council. You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
                1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
                2 - the dates they were obtained
                3 - the addresses they were for
                4 - the period of time each covers
                5 - how much each one was for
                6 - how much is still outstanding
                7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
                8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
                  Letters may indeed be sent by email but should always be backed up by a copy in the post.
                  And sent by Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery, as receipt of such letters is recorded so the recipient cannot convincingly claim they did not get them.

Comment

Can a Bailiff set up a AOE?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                      Can a Bailiff set up a AOE?
                      Yes, they use the Contracting Out Regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                        And sent by Recorded Delivery or Special Delivery, as receipt of such letters is recorded so the recipient cannot convincingly claim they did not get them.
                        Please note that some Bailiffs refuse to accept Signed For or Special Delivery, you need to check Royal Mail Track & Trace for further info, can be 5 days for Signed For & following day for SD.

Comment

So if bailiffs refuse to accept those which would be the best way to mail them ?

Comment

Originally posted by messycess View Post
                            So if bailiffs refuse to accept those which would be the best way to mail them ?
                            Get a (free) Certificate of Posting and, to get proof of receipt, enclose a crossed cheque for £1.

That's not for any statutory fee, but they'd find it difficult to claim non-receipt when you have proof that the cheque cleared. :grin:

Comment

In theory if you have proof of postage then if sent 1st Class it would be deemed to have been delivered within 2 working days, 5 for 2nd Class. Use the Interpretation Act for your own purposes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X