• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Can Bailiffs take deceased mans car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Bailiffs take deceased mans car?

Bailiffs called to a friend of mine and could get no reply, a neighbour came out and said he was concerned as he hadn't seen him come or go. The bailiffs just hung around,the neighbour rung the police and when they arrived they discovered my dear friend dead on the floor,( he had been there a couple of days we think) The policewoman let the bailiffs continue to take the keys of my friends car and repossess it. Surely this is not right ? I thought that when sometime dies that their property became their estate and could not be touched. We wish to complain about both the police and bailiffs, can anyone tell me if we have a case ??? thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Can they do this ???

i'm sorry i'm not able to help you but just wanted to say i think thats disgusting! surely they cant do that. i hope you can get this sorted the way you hope, good luck

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

I have sent a message to one of our members who may be able to advise you best on this.

Sorry to hear about your friend and echo that I find this kind of behaviour unacceptable by both the Police and the Bailiffs.
        Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

This needs to be reported to the Chief Constable and H.M. Coroner for the area in which the death occurred immediately. When a sudden death occurs, there is a set procedure that has to be gone through as the police are acting for H.M. Coroner. How does the policewoman who attended know whether the death was suspicious or not? How does she know whether the car had forensic evidence on it? Certainly, the policewoman should not have allowed the bailiff to go anywhere near the property and, certainly, she should not have allowed him to take the car without reference to a senior police officer.
          Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Thank you so much Bluebottle - I knew this was so wrong on so many levels.
            We shall take this further.

Comment

Extremely good point BB, completely overlooked that one.
              Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

Do you know what company these appalling vultures are from? I fear the policewoman has landed herself in the doo doo, as BB suggests , for allowing the bailiff to continue with enforcement at the scene of a sudden death.

As to the bailiff he should be ashamed. As to the car, it is part of the estate and it is up to the executors to sorrt it out, it may well be that the bailiff has therefore effectively stolen the car. Other Beagles will know more.

Comment

It really just shows what scum are employed as balliffs in this country. Anyone with a shred of human decency in them would have made their excuses and left.

As for the actions of the police officer. She was either very stupid or just plain lazy. If I were the executor of the estate I would be in touch with her Chief Constable asap

Comment

Just read the thread...twice...can't believe the bailiff actions!

If the car was repossed because payments for it were not made to the HP Company it is quite legal, but if it would have been me I would have walked away and then spoken to whoever was in charge of disposing this lady's Estate.

If the car was removed for any other debt the bailiff could, and should, be charged with theft, because once the defaulter is dead those debts are the responsability of the Executors/Administrators of the Estate, and if there are not enough assetts in the Residual then all creditors are paid an equal percentage of what is owed.
                    The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

"if there are not enough assetts in the Residual then all creditors are paid an equal percentage of what is owed."

Does that also apply to HMCS fines and Council tax LO?

I have heard of one case where the executors informed the council of the death and that the property was therefore being vacated as of XX date, the tenancy terminated, and the keys handed back to the council as landlord the council took out an LO against the executors for the balance of the tax year from the date of death.....

Comment

kin hell I seen it all now!

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                          kin hell I seen it all now!
                          Believe me Wales, they can go lower than this, it is not unknown for bailiffs to attend to remove an the day of the debtors funera.....

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
                            Believe me Wales, they can go lower than this, it is not unknown for bailiffs to attend to remove an the day of the debtors funera.....
                            Don't tell me the low-life bailiffs attempted to clamp the hearse, coffin and all, BB? Anyone who attempts to levy and seize on the day of a debtor's funeral is beneath contempt.

Speaking from personal experience, some muppet from an alarm company knocked on my door on the day of my late father's funeral, as we were waiting for the funeral car to arrive, trying to push his company's wares. Despite requests for him to leave, he persisted and would not leave. In the end, one of my cousins came out and offered to remove the salesman with the toe of his boot. The salesman finally got the message and left.
                            Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                              Don't tell me the low-life bailiffs attempted to clamp the hearse, coffin and all, BB? Anyone who attempts to levy and seize on the day of a debtor's funeral is beneath contempt.

Speaking from personal experience, some muppet from an alarm company knocked on my door on the day of my late father's funeral, as we were waiting for the funeral car to arrive, trying to push his company's wares. Despite requests for him to leave, he persisted and would not leave. In the end, one of my cousins came out and offered to remove the salesman with the toe of his boot. The salesman finally got the message and left.
                              Bet that 'alarmed' him, lol
                              CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                              Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                              gets his brain a-going.
                              Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                              The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X