• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Advice please re; Commital to prison proceedings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice please re; Commital to prison proceedings

Originally posted by labman View Post
    I think that because we are dealing with the public purse here in the form of a tax, they will be unable to accept F&F's on the debt.
    Unless, of course, one is Vodafone plc. (link)

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
      I know it appears intrusive and nosey, but even if you borrow the money (a better idea than going to prison), you are still going to end up having to pay it back, and a debt to a friend will not be considered a priority. Have you other financial issues which you can share with us, as we might be able to help? Many of us have been in a similarish place to where you appear to be - I have, and I'm still battling. However, I'm still here and still smiling as well. There's not much you could share that one of us has not been through and learnt from.
      For example. does he have any surplus children he could sell?

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        As it isn't open to negotiation, the offer would be rejected.

Have you ever considered emigrating to Costa Rica?
        Could try TimBuktoo, as you are at the :colbert::beagle2222:Cross roads?????????????

Comment

Originally posted by tim000222 View Post
          Wow! Thank you for all your replies! What a fantastic and helpful community here. It seems as though a few days in jail maybe a few weeks and I will still owe the money. I don't have it, but can probably borrow it.
          As per my post above, you could make an offer of repayment:
          The court may decide to postpone imprisonment on certain conditions, like you agreeing to repay the debt over time.
          They want to get their money, not to send people to prison. In fact, sending people to prison costs even more money, and stops people from earning money to pay them back.

The only reason they are prepared to go as far as that is to discourage people from not paying their taxes, otherwise everyone would treat council tax just like any other debt and not as a priority.

I have no idea about your personal circumstances or the history of this, but it sounds like you have failed to make a suitable offer of repayment. Maybe if you explained that sending you to prison would only stop you from obtaining the money to repay this debt they would consider a repayment plan. :decision:

Originally posted by tim000222 View Post
          The tax has not been paid because I don't have it....however someone did offer on my behalf 3k in full and final settlement a year ago which was rejected
          Because this is a tax debt rather than a consumer debt, they may not be as keen to accept F&Fs, again, for the reason mentioned above, otherwise we'd all default on our CT and offer a F&F for half the amount. However, as noted above, the court may make a decision based on your circumstances:
          The court can also cancel all or part of the debt.
          You may want to explain that having been to jail will only make it much harder to find work to repay the debt.

Comment

They may accept the 3k as part of the bill but you will still be liable for the rest of the bill..Unfortunately C/Tax is part and parcel of living in this country and I've certainly never heard nor will expect to hear of an individual being 'let off' of the total amount due........and if I did I would broadcast it all over the country so none of us has to pay the full bill.
            You must have had dealings with bailiff companies in the last 5 years too??????????

Comment

I have just spent 4 years paying off a CT debt whenever I was one month late I was threatned with bailiffs I cannot see how this person has got away with this?
              Maybe 2 years in prison and the debt NOT cancelled is needed here why should others pay for people who say they have no money if they worked they had money if they were on benefits they could have got CT benefit,
              What is the whole story here?

Comment

Hope they have not been on certain sites and belived everything they read?

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                  Hope they have not been on certain sites and belived everything they read?

We think alike Mike.........I smell FMOTL..........hope I'm wrong

Comment

I don't think Tim will have been an FMOTL as there's a lot of stories and publicity about people following that route being imprisoned and bankrupted, plus Tim has stated he didn't pay as he didn't have the money. We don't know his personal circumstances so it's impossible to know the reasons behind non payment. I've ended up with a couple liability orders for council tax in the past when things have gotten on top of me and I wasn't eligible for Council Tax benefit or anything, but I have always tried to make payment arrangements with the council as soon as there was a problem I could no longer hide from. (We've got it sussed with a standing order now though - rent and co tax get paid before we see any wages )

If you don't pay, ignore the liability order and so on then the next step is magistrates court. He hasn't mentioned bailiffs - presumably these have been involved at some point ??

I also don't see it as 'getting away with it for so long', I see it as being misguided then panicking when you realise it wasn't such a great idea to ignore everything after all.

Between 2 weeks and 3 months in prison can be an utter life changing devastating experience, and the debt still has to be paid at the end of it.

Roger Hayes got 21 days in prison and was made bankrupt in the process. He got a few mentions in the press and a slating on twitter and David Icke but other than that, what exactly has it achieved. I presume he had no family to bother about.

I really hope it is through hardship and naivety that Tim didn't pay, and not through following advice elsewhere on FMOTL biases.
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                      You may want to explain that having been to jail will only make it much harder to find work to repay the debt.
                      On the other hand, he'd have an opportunity to network with some entrepreneurs who'd have interesting (if illegal) ways to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                        They may accept the 3k as part of the bill but you will still be liable for the rest of the bill..Unfortunately C/Tax is part and parcel of living in this country and I've certainly never heard nor will expect to hear of an individual being 'let off' of the total amount due.
                        Aren't priests, monks, nuns and other nutters exempt?

Comment

On the other hand, he'd have an opportunity to network with some entrepreneurs who'd have interesting (if illegal) ways to make money.
                          A sort of Linked-inside?

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Yet they make me pay

Comment

Originally posted by Inca View Post
                              Yet they make me pay
                              As you are neither a priest nor a nun, do you consider yourself to be a "nutter"? :grin:

Comment

As you are neither a priest or a nun , do you consider yourself to be a "nutter"? :grin:
                                I'm certainly not yer average run of the mill person Cloggy msl:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X