• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Another Marston Group Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Marston Group Thread

I'd previously received a letter from the court regarding an outstanding fine and forgot to pay it (my fault, I know). Then, a few days ago I received a removal notice from Marstons for the unpaid fine telling me I owed £325. I spoke to Marstons and they said that they'd already sent another letter out previously which I'd not received and so I asked if they could give me more time to pay seeing as I'd not received a letter and this request was turned down flat and I was informed that the bailiffs would be round very soon unless I paid £540. I queried the amount as my letter said I owed £325 and was asked to email a copy of the letter to them which I have done.

I've since paid £120 to the court(the amount of the original fine) via the means on the original letter they sent and have informed Marston that this is the case. Any idea of what will happen next? I've tried to contact Marston re the discrepancy in what the letter says I owe and what they told me verbally but they've not done anything about it yet. I'm still worried that they will turn up to take goods with me having no means to pay.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Another Marston Group Thread

Hi Frank and welcome to Legal Beagles.

Was the letter from Marstons sent through the Royal Mail system or, simply, pushed through your door without any stamp or frank mark on it?

Marstons' mathematics are out of kilter. If the fine is £125 and they have only sent a letter, for which they can charge a fee of £85, the most they can charge, at present, is £210. Saying they will send round bailiffs if you don't pay them £540 sounds to me like they are attempting to garner fees, which I very much doubt HMCTS will be happy about.

When did you receive a letter from the court prior to receiving a letter from Marstons?
    Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

It does seem as if Marstons are getting ready for the grab-a-thon that they expect will be allowed next year.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
        It does seem as if Marstons are getting ready for the grab-a-thon that they expect will be allowed next year.
        Along with a propensity to levy every car in sight hoping the lawful owner cannot afford the interpleader to get it back.

Comment

Originally posted by bizzybob View Post
          Along with a propensity to levy every car in sight hoping the lawful owner cannot afford the interpleader to get it back.
          As I have said before, the ConDem government has to remain in office long enough to see the provisions come into force. A General Election between now and the beginning of February 2014 could sound the death knell for the provisions. Its implementation can be delayed and, then, repealed. The alternative is that communities will become no-go areas where certificated bailiffs enter at their own risk, the risk being that they get a bloody good hiding.

Comment

What makes you think a general election will happen before the end of the term of the government I remember a few months ago you were saying this would be happening in November?
            I don't support any political party and like you would like to see the electoral system change

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
              What makes you think a general election will happen before the end of the term of the government I remember a few months ago you were saying this would be happening in November?
              I don't support any political party and like you would like to see the electoral system change
              The ConDem government's plans are unravelling, Wales. Very recently, Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt had an appeal against a ruling by the High Court that his attempted closure of Lewisham Hospital and other hospitals was unlawful thrown out by the Court of Appeal. And I have no doubt the ConDem government will face further rulings by the courts as the cracks show in their crazy plans.

Comment

And the November question?

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I received the court letter in July. This is the first I'd heard from Marstons since. I've got to the bottom of the amount payable. There are 2 outstanding fines both for £120 and a compliance fee of £85. When the letter was hand delivered they have added a further £215 to the account.

I've been on the phone with Marston again today to dispute the extra £215 as I hadn't received the first letter from them. I offered to pay the outstanding amount minus £215 attendance fee and at first they refused and would only accept the full amount. After being on hold for a while the operator I spoke to (Tarj, who was helpful to be fair to him) came back and accepted the offer.

So thanks for the reply and hopefully this goes to show that you can be firm with them and not back down to their demands.

Comment

It's only 6 November today. There are still another 24 days to go. Anything can happen between now and 30 November. How do we know the ConDem government won't lose a key vote or votes during that time that subsequently results in a GE?

Comment

Did madame bluebottle specify which November?

Comment

The tories have only to annoy the LidDims, on green tax a bit more and they could swap sides to Milipede.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                          Did madame bluebottle specify which November?
                          No, Cloggy, I did not specify which November or which February. However, the way things are going, I would not be surprised if it was this November.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Lundy View Post
                            Thanks for the reply. I received the court letter in July. This is the first I'd heard from Marstons since. I've got to the bottom of the amount payable. There are 2 outstanding fines both for £120 and a compliance fee of £85. When the letter was hand delivered they have added a further £215 to the account.

I've been on the phone with Marston again today to dispute the extra £215 as I hadn't received the first letter from them. I offered to pay the outstanding amount minus £215 attendance fee and at first they refused and would only accept the full amount. After being on hold for a while the operator I spoke to (Tarj, who was helpful to be fair to him) came back and accepted the offer.

So thanks for the reply and hopefully this goes to show that you can be firm with them and not back down to their demands.
                            I'm pleased you've got this sorted out, and well done for negotiating the removal of the £215 Attendance Fee. This fee is a particularly controversial one, though some will say it is straightforward. It is not a fee chargeable under the contract with HM Courts, and because of this, some believe it is not payable (along with £85 making a total of £300). I believe it is payable, but it is complex.

Anyway, you got rid of it which is the main thing - well done.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                            Working...
                            X