• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

distress warrant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: distress warrant

Originally posted by karen971 View Post
    Thank you so much Miss FM! I have spoken to my CPN who is going to ring Marstons for me as I just crumble and get nowhere with them. She seems to think that they are using bullying tactics with me and the card they put through my door and the language used are all just to frighten me and that if I write to the court explaining my situation that they will be sympathetic. I know that I have to pay the fine but I cannot pay all at once and definitely not the amount that Marstons are asking! As I was writing this my CPN called me and told me she had talked to Marstons who were not interested and said they were going ahead with the execution of the warrant. I had started to feel lot calmer but now I am terrified again.
    The case should have been transferred to Marstons's "Welfare Department".

If that has been requested and they still refuse, then a complaint should be made to HM Courts and Tribunals Service as Marstons could thereby be said to have broken the terms of their contract.

They are required to collect money.

They are not required to terrify anyone, especially not if their victim is mentally fragile.

Comment

To save further comments for now lets just say the matter is in hand and has been dealt with. Unfortunately the details are not at present for discussion.

Comment

If there is a case of clear "vulnerability" (as is the case with Karen) then the Welfare Department of Marston Group ( and each of the other 3 companies under contract to HMCTS ) will administer the account and, as long as some sort of documentary evidence can be provided, then the warrant will almost always be referred back to the court so that the debtor may apply for consideration to be given to remit part or all of the fine.

Karen's case is indeed now with the Welfare Dept .

Comment

Aww that's brilliant.news..I (amongst others) was really worried for this lady..thankyou to the clever bods who sorted this out thus far and,from me,a special thanks to Ame + PTom who kept me 'in the loop' quietly..I appreciated it

Comment

I just wanted to say a massive thank you to all on this forum who helped me yesterday. From the bottom of my heart. You have no idea how much you did for me as something like this could have easily landed me back in hospital then not just me but my children suffer too. So once again Thank you! You are like my guardian angels x

Comment

So pleased it worked out well for you ,there is always help advice and a friend on here remember for the future

Comment

Karen, I am so very glad for you that the team here, as usual, quietly but effectively worked their magic and wish you so well. I hope you will now be able to continue to build a peaceful, happy family life and above all to heal . xx

Comment

The very thought of Cloggy and Wales dressed as angels has cheered me up too ray:

Keep your chin up Karen...there's always a friendly :doggieyes: around these parts :tongue2:

Comment

I hope you'll stick about a bit and keep posting on the forums if you need help or advice, or even some people to chat with on occassion. They aren't a bad bunch here and very supportive xx I'm glad things got sorted out yesterday for you, and my thanks to all involved too xx
                    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by karen971 View Post
                      they had a distress warrant, that it was going to be enforced today with a locksmith and it was being filmed. I was scared to death and stayed in my bedroom until they left. I am a single mother of two and I have clinical depression and acute anxiety disorder as a result of being in a violent marriage for 23 years. only thing I can think that this warrant is for is for not having a tv licence.
                      Never has the word *distress* been more apt. The dictionary definition is "to cause extreme anxiety sorrow or pain".

Licence fee revenue is used solely to fund the BBC. I wonder if the fat cats at the BBC know how much *distress* they cause when vulnerable people like you genuinely can't afford to contribute towards their massive wages or redundancy pay-offs due to 'this that and the other'

If you weren't feeling so low (that can change ) I'd like to take you to meet my former colleagues at the BBC for a little chat so they can see how much actual *distress* they cause real live people before they take that expensive cab ride home at your and my expense.

Oh the irony that the bailiffs were going to film your ordeal today.

Take care Karen and don't lose touch

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                        Licence fee revenue is used solely to fund the BBC. I wonder if the fat cats at the BBC know how much *distress* they cause when vulnerable people like you genuinely can't afford to contribute towards their massive wages or redundancy pay-offs due to 'this that and the other'
                        Personally, I disagree with the TV license, simply because it doesn't fit in with the free market, capitalist economy prevalent in the UK. It would be fair enough in a place where public services, transport, etc. are all state-run and so is broadcasting, but there are lots of non BBC TV channels and radio stations in this country, all funded by advertising. There are also a range of paid TV subscription options to choose from. I don't expect to watch TV for nothing, I pay Sky, but I dont' see why I should ALSO have to pay the BBC. Why can't they just show adverts like the rest?

That's before we even begin to look into the ways the compulsory license is enforced, as seen above.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                          Personally, I disagree with the TV license, simply because it doesn't fit in with the free market, capitalist economy prevalent in the UK. It would be fair enough in a place where public services, transport, etc. are all state-run and so is broadcasting, but there are lots of non BBC TV channels and radio stations in this country, all funded by advertising. There are also a range of paid TV subscription options to choose from. I don't expect to watch TV for nothing, I pay Sky, but I dont' see why I should ALSO have to pay the BBC. Why can't they just show adverts like the rest?

That's before we even begin to look into the ways the compulsory license is enforced, as seen above.
                          Notwithstanding that non payment of TV License fines was the main reason women were in jail last century, at enormous cost as children of single parents would have to go into care. TV Licence is an anachronism and should join Distress as a remedy in history, with King John and the legendary Sheriff of Nottingham.

Comment

And the 'powers that be' continue to fail to recognise that if they refrained from the level of thuggery displayed to this OP,forums such as LB wouldn't need to exist to be a thorn in their backsides
                            I have no sympathy for the 'can pay..won't pay..brigade at all...nothing in life is free BUT I do think we need to give more support to the 'have no chance in hell of paying' groups.
                            Karen (OP)........terrible circumstances.....life became a warzone......did what she had to do to protect herself and her kids...well documented and proveable.....when did a poxy TV licence become her priority over putting food on the table?
                            There should be a system in place where people like OP can go to DHSS and say,I cannot pay a TV licence,I have young children (who,,lets be honest,LIVE for the telly)...and be able to sign a form exonerating her from needing a licence till her circumstances improve. Not send a baboon round to scare her bandy!

And that's what I'll implement as soon as I'm Prime Minister

Comment

A lot of our European neighbours fund their state broadcasters through Income Tax. Okay, their Income Tax rates are higher than they are in the UK, but they don't have the archaic system we have or the aggravation associated with it.

The late Lord Denning once said that bailiffs were a 12th Century solution to a 20th Century problem and that there were other methods of debt collection that were less confrontational or aggressive. Unfortunately, Lord Denning's wisdom and commonsense approach to justice didn't go down well with the Establishment who considered him a thorn in their side and have maintained the status quo to suit themselves. My gut feeling is that the status quo will not last for much longer. Something is going to give.
                              Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

Not having a TV licence can as we see get you into court and fined so be it its a law we must live within the laws whether we like them or not.
                                The big problem arises when action to collect money is passed to these bailiffs who care not for the rules they are supposed to operate under and the high charges .A system of making sure those who are caught pay is needed which is clear precise and not dependent on bailiffs.
                                With so many being taken to court for non payment of TV licence and Council tax new rules must come into force that are fair and take into consideration peoples means,
                                The level of fines should be capped and an order to pay back unpaid licence fees and tax,this should be set in law.
                                Persistent offender should face harsher penalties.
                                The OP should never have been subjected to her ordeal problem is bully boy bailiffs will still cause distress to the vulnerable,do they threaten a 20 stone body builder the same as a 7 stone young woman with young kids?
                                I hope the OP gets over this and there are no lasting effects and thankyou for the Beagles who sorted it out

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                                Working...
                                X