• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Liability order information preliminary to distress

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liability order information preliminary to distress

I am trying to get some advice for my mum and dad who have a problem with council tax arrears.

My mum has no income and my dad claims dla and pension credite, they don't claim housing or council tax benefit because of the non dependent deductions due to my brothers and sisters earnings.

They have just received several letters from Rossendales titled COUNCIL TAX NOTICE OF ISSUE OF LIABILITY ORDER INFORMATION PRELIMINARY TO DISTRESS.

They are not disputing the amounts owed, they were already paying these arrears through an attachment of benefits order when they were claiming income support, but my dad was asked to make a claim for pension credits instead, so this messed up the arrangement and was not carried over to the pension credits claim.

My mum is getting really stressed out as she doesn't know what to do, she wants to make a new payment arrangement with the council or bailiffs, but she doesn't know who to write to or what to say in the letters.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

Michelle
    Last edited by mumof2; 23rd September 2013, 22:39:PM.
    Tags: None

Re: Liability order information preliminary to distress

Hi mumof2,

Have you read through our section on baliffs & council tax? ( http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax )
    CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
      1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
      2 - the dates they were obtained
      3 - the addresses they were for
      4 - the period of time each covers
      5 - how much each one was for
      6 - how much is still outstanding
      7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
      8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Comment

The above post is good for both your parents & yourself. There is a good chance your parents are classed as vulnerable according to the National Standards for Enforcement Agents particularly as one of them receives DLA - is this Lower, Middle or Higher Rate & do they also get the Care Component?

Comment

Are the council aware of the DLA? if not you shouild inform them, and send a copy of the award notice as well as to Dossendales, mentioning that they are vulnerable according to the National Standards mentioned above. If they persist with bailiff action it will be easier to raise Foormal Complaints when or ifthe council and dossers carry on regardless.

Comment

This sent to council with copy to tossendales may be worth a punt, other Beagles will no doubt improve and amend

Ref: 000000
            Dear XXX

I am writing to inform you that I am potentially vulnerable under the National standards for Enforcement Agencies, I am in reciept of DLA ....rate.... and my other income is pension credit.

I enclose a copy of my DLA award notice, and an income and expenditure sheet (attached), so would ask that you withdraw the case from Rossendales and I will
            arrange with yourselves to pay the debt in a timely manner at a rate affordable to my financial circumstances.

Yours faithfully etc

Comment

Mustn't forget that ALL people listed on a Council Tax Bill are jointly and severally liable for council tax, see here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/27/made
              The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
                Mustn't forget that ALL people listed on a Council Tax Bill are jointly and severally liable for council tax, see here:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...lation/27/made
                It is unlikely that the non dependents are named on the bill, in any event one vulnerable person even a child with a disability renders the whole household vulnerable under the National Standards

Comment

Hi Mumoftwo,

I notice you have not posted anything since your original post. How are things going with this? Have you any updates? - It's been a while! :beagle:

Comment

Sorry its been so long since i posted, i've had so much going on its unbelievable.

After sending letters to both Rossendales and the Council and several emails also sent to the council, the council finally replied saying that they could not take the debts back due to the amounts she owes and the length of time it would take to pay back.

She's really worried now and is considering making an offer to Rossendales but is worried that they will expect her to pay more than they can afford.

She's not one to make to much of a fuss with regards to making complaints, she just wants to pay the debts off. I just don't know what to advise her anymore

Thanks
                    Last edited by mumof2; 18th November 2013, 01:31:AM.

Comment

You stated in a earlier post that they dont get benefit due to non dependants incomes . Are these non dependants actually contibuting to the rent . If not or even if they have jobs couls they not agree to take on the laibility for CT away from your parents . Payments can be made direct to the council there is no requirement to tell rossendales .

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X