• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

marstons bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marstons bailiffs

I have a letter from marstons saying they have a magistrates court order for taverling on rail way with out paying fare dated 05/05/10 of £1.277.30 I was unemployed untill 6 months ago I had letters befor and a vist from marstons from when I was in a young persons hostle in 2012 l was told to pay £200 a month but. My jsa was only £260 so I just ignored them I moved to my new home a year ago and and recived the letter a month ago I want to pay it but no in one go how do I go about getting in touch with them or magistrates court to make a payment plan I am in about £2000i n detp with I'm pay of
    Tags: None

Re: marstons bailiffs

If you read the link below, it sets out the procedure for Mag Ct fines very clearly. Equally it tells you what to do if you can't afford to pay:

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...s-Courts-Fines

You need to write to the Fines Officer asking for a Means Enquiry Hearing, and actually turn up at the court every day asking for one as well. They are under no obligation to give you one, so you need to push the matter.

It is highly unlikely without a Means Enquiry Hearing you will be given a chance to pay in installments as you have avoided paying the fine for so long. The next step (assuming one of the letters is a Further Steps Notice) would be the issuing of a warrant for your arrest, so it is very much in your own interests to try to get this sorted out. :beagle:

Comment

Hello Bobbennit and welcome.

As you were aware of the fine from your previous address, and you decided to ignore it, I would suggest you did not go down the Statutory Declaration route as it might bite you in the backside by the bulldog called Perjury.

All warrants issue to bailiffs have a statutory life of 1year and one day.

Unless you have a car which is worth, at auction at least £ 1,000 more than the value of the warrant you should be OK, also, unless you live in a Mansion with lavish furnishing, big TVs, Xboxes and Play Stations galore it is very unlikely that the bailiff is going to take your stuff because, being realistic, they wuold need to confiscate between 5 and 10 times the value (new price) of household items.

Having said this, the fine is never going to go away until you pay it, and contrary to popular belief, if you are arrested for non payment of Magistrates Court fines, after you spend a few months at one of Her Majesties Facilities, when you come out you still owe the original amount.

Under schedule 4a of the Magistrates Court act 1980 the bailiff can use a locksmith to enter your premises, and that is an added cost (around £120.00 VAT inclusive); so if your car is not a Ferrari and your home is furnished Feng-Shuy way, when the bailiff comes to visit invite them in, explain that you can only afford £XX per month, and hopefully you will be able to clear this debt by the end of the warrant life.

Worth remembering that most bailiffs (if not all) are not interested in taking your goods away, except for cars (which are easy picking) but rather have the money.

One sneaky bit of advice for all who receive letters from bailiffs and have a nice motor which is paid for....get a small loan from from Logbook loans, say £500 over 24 months, and "Robert is your mother's brother" they can not touch that because it's on finance.

All the above to help you, but my final advice is: if you can afford it pay it!
      The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

It's a dirty job, but someone got to do it!

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
        Hello Bobbennit and welcome.

As you were aware of the fine from your previous address, and you decided to ignore it, I would suggest you did not go down the Statutory Declaration route as it might bite you in the backside by the bulldog called Perjury.

All warrants issue to bailiffs have a statutory life of 1year and one day.
        I think a Distress Warrant lasts 180 days doesn't it? :beagle:

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          I think a Distress Warrant lasts 180 days doesn't it? :beagle:
          It is good practice to try to serve and have the warrant paid within 180 days, but the "shelf life" of a warrant allocated to a bailiff is one year and one day from the date the Court allocates it, of course if the defaulter is moving around a lot, and they need to be located at different addresses, then extensions can be applied for. But sometimes it's a lot better to return the warrant to the Court explaining that the defendant is Gone Away No Trace, GANT for short in jargon, and let the Court try to find them again (if the defendants NI number is known it's quite easy) then the Court will re-issue the warrant with 12 months and a day on it.
          The Black rat (Rattus rattus) is a common (hence the accusation of being Pleb) long-tailed rodent of the genus Rattus (rats) in the subfamily Murinae (murine rodents). The species originated in tropical Asia and spread through the Near East in Roman times (another thing that we ought to thanks the Romans for, besides roads, aqueducts and public toilets) before reaching Europe by the 1st century and spreading with Europeans across the world.

A mutation of the beast now comes black leather clad, riding a motorcycle that looks like a battenbergh cake on wheels.

A skilled predator, totally ruthless with it's prey, but also known to be extremely generous in doling out tickes that can provide points for motorists who want to downsize from mechanically propelled vehicles to bycicles.

My opinions are free to anyone who wishes to make them theirs, but please be advised that my opinions might change without warning once more true facts are ascertained

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Vere Brayne d'Emmidge View Post
            It is good practice to try to serve and have the warrant paid within 180 days, but the "shelf life" of a warrant allocated to a bailiff is one year and one day from the date the Court allocates it, of course if the defaulter is moving around a lot, and they need to be located at different addresses, then extensions can be applied for. But sometimes it's a lot better to return the warrant to the Court explaining that the defendant is Gone Away No Trace, GANT for short in jargon, and let the Court try to find them again (if the defendants NI number is known it's quite easy) then the Court will re-issue the warrant with 12 months and a day on it.
            Sir V,

As you get to know me, you'll learn I'm a pedantic, fussy old git!

I like to see everything in black and white with my own eyes - do you have a link to an authoritative source where this is said. I was reading around this early this morning, and found reference to exactly one year, and another to 180 days, both from reliable sources.

Any help clarifying a confused Labman's mind much appreciated! :beagle:

Comment

Sir V,

As you get to know me, you'll learn I'm a pedantic, fussy old git!

I like to see everything in black and white with my own eyes - do you have a link to an authoritative source where this is said. I was reading around this early this morning, and found reference to exactly one year, and another to 180 days, both from reliable sources.

Any help clarifying a confused Labman's mind much appreciated! :beagle:
              For warrant of execution see here:

http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pro...ccr/ccrorder26

Interesting fact from HMRC:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/dmbm660640.htm

Comment

Does a Bailiff have to pay a fee to the court before getting the warrant? if so would explain why they threaten so often if they have not paid there is no warrant and they are abusing the court process?

Comment

Originally posted by wales01man View Post
                  Does a Bailiff have to pay a fee to the court before getting the warrant? if so would explain why they threaten so often if they have not paid there is no warrant and they are abusing the court process?
                  No

PT

Comment

Excellent - thank you! I believe in your second link that the 'hearing' can often take place via telephone from outside a debtors house, unless I getting mixed up (which is perfectly possible! )

Comment

Excellent - thank you! I believe in your second link that the 'hearing' can often take place via telephone from outside a debtors house, unless I getting mixed up (which is perfectly possible! )
                      The debtor is issued with a further summons to appear in Court, the hearing is held in Court.

Unfortunaly many debtors ignore the first summons, and most of those who receive the second hearing do not take the opportunity to put their case forward, even if to discuss a payment plan via PayPoint card.....thus the heartache and all the stress that a bailiff (even the very good ones) causes.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X