• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car clamped by Equita for council tax arrears

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car clamped by Equita for council tax arrears

Hi,

My mum's car has just been clamped by bailiffs for council tax arrears of £700, they say she has one liability order. I rang up the council on her behalf and they claim she hasnt made payment since March and I have to deal with the bailiff. My mum has been on sick benefit since March and has been paying her council tax directly from that, so we are a bit confused.

What can we do? some advice please!!!

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

Re: Car clamped by Equita for council tax arrears

sorry just seen that the actual debt is £377.20 (£140.70 for council tax and £236.50_ for bailiff fees inc VAT

Comment

sorry the debt was not £700, I read the thing wrong, sooo stressed atm

Comment

What paperwork has the Bailiff left?

Comment

A Bailiff Removal notice stating "Payment due in full -24 hours"

and a notice of seizure and inventory of goods with my mums car reg and car details on it

Comment

What list of fees did he leave? Can you list exactly what is on the Notice of Seizure? Is the vehicle on any type of finance? Did he clamp the car first before handing any notice over?

Comment

On the Notice of Seizure form it just has my mums name, address and the bailiffs name and number, the court they work for. Then it states

"Inventory of Goods" and in that box is my mums car reg, make and model. Then further down it says "Amount owing Council RTax £140.70, Bailliff costs inc VAT £236.50 and then Total Amount if paid today £377.20

Then its signed and dated

He posted te notice through the door, then went to clamp it. My mum owns the car, it is not on HP or finance

Comment

His fees are wrong, if this is his 1st visit and he has levied the car then that is the only fee he may charge. If he saying the outstanding CT is for £140-70 then his fees should only be £27-00 - rounded up to the nearest pound. I can guarantee he has loaded fees for work he has not done and there is no VAT chargeable on fees for Council Tax.

If possible I would pay £167-70 direct to the Council and tell him you have paid direct including fees and he should seek payment from the Council. If he argues over the fees tell him you want his Certificate details as you are considering a complaint for blatant overcharging to the Court where his Certificate was awarded.

Equita have form for this type of thing and it is about time it was stamped out, if necessary by making an example of a Bailiff or two. Others may say they have been reported in the past to Trading Standards but to be honest I think that one has died a death.

Comment

Thank you...we'll try and rake up £167, then if we can will pay it directly to the council via their website

DO you think he will remove the clamp if we just pay that? I'm scared he's gonna want us to pay all his fees to remove it

Thanks

Comment

He has to justify his fees. In this instance you could try to call his bluff as you know he is overcharging, but just remember Bailiffs lie.

Comment

Ok thanks....ugh now to find £170

Comment

Do you know if this has any justification. Apparently it is illegal for someone to clamp a car because of council tax arrears http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk...our-rights.htm

Comment

Originally posted by star123 View Post
                          Do you know if this has any justification. Apparently it is illegal for someone to clamp a car because of council tax arrears http://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk...our-rights.htm
                          Included within this link is another link to a Form 4 complaint.
                          I believe the smart money says don't do it!
                          CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
                          Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
                          gets his brain a-going.
                          Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
                          The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Form 4 Please don't go there, you will be the one to suffer

Comment

Ok thanks guys!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X