• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

collectica bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• collectica bailiffs

I'm having a problem with the fine I recently got for driving with no insurance from the local magistrates court.
    I was running a struggling business using a van, this finally went down the pan after I was fined.
    I agreed to pay the pay the fine off by installments,but due to difficulties I missed a payment.and then paid when I could
    I received a further steps notice,I rang and was told everything was ok so carried on. with the payments as usual
    I have now received a notice from collectica baliffs telling me a distress warrant as been issued and that I have 14 days to pay the amount in full.
    Being unemployed there is no way I can pay the fine off in full.
    What would be the best course of action,should I apply to the court for a means enquiry hearing,or since Iam now unemployed and living with my elderly father
    should I apply for being in the vulnerable category.
    Iam not claiming benefits,but I do have a very modest income coming in,I'm mostly being helped by the goodwill of my family.

cheers

ian
    Tags: None

Re: collectica bailiffs

If would seem the court have acted correctly in issuing a fine and when you defaulted providing you with a Further Steps Notice. You have stated that you contacted the court on receipt of the FSN and that you were told that "everything was ok" and you then continued with payments.

Clearly therefore there appears to have been a "misunderstanding " with the court and you MUST contact them on Monday because, in cases such as yours they can recall the warrant (which appears to have been issued in error).

From a huge amount of experience over many years ( not on a personal basis but business wise) it is the case that Magistrate Courts are very helpful indeed in allowing debtors to return to court for a Means Hearing in cases where the debtors individual circumstances have changed "since the fine was imposed". However, the time to request a Means Hearing is BEFORE the court take any of the "further steps" outlined in the Further Steps Notice.

Once a distress warrant is issued, it is most unusual for the court to "recall" the warrant. However, in your case it would seem that the court may have made an error by telling you that everything was OK when you contacted them on receipt of the FSN ad then issuing a Distress Warrant.

Please do post back once you have spoken with the court.

Comment

Originally posted by Milo View Post
      If would seem the court have acted correctly in issuing a fine and when you defaulted providing you with a Further Steps Notice. You have stated that you contacted the court on receipt of the FSN and that you were told that "everything was ok" and you then continued with payments.

Clearly therefore there appears to have been a "misunderstanding " with the court and you MUST contact them on Monday because, in cases such as yours they can recall the warrant (which appears to have been issued in error).

From a huge amount of experience over many years ( not on a personal basis but business wise) it is the case that Magistrate Courts are very helpful indeed in allowing debtors to return to court for a Means Hearing in cases where the debtors individual circumstances have changed "since the fine was imposed". However, the time to request a Means Hearing is BEFORE the court take any of the "further steps" outlined in the Further Steps Notice.

Once a distress warrant is issued, it is most unusual for the court to "recall" the warrant. However, in your case it would seem that the court may have made an error by telling you that everything was OK when you contacted them on receipt of the FSN ad then issuing a Distress Warrant.

Please do post back once you have spoken with the court.
      There has been a recent case, involving Collectica, where HMCTS recalled a warrant that had been correctly issued. The reason was because Collectica were caught lying to HMCTS about a debtor's claim that they were trying to engineer a situation whereby they could gain authority to force entry and bump up their fees. Collectica were caught out by their own lies. I am waiting to see if HMCTS launch an investigation into other cases Collectica have handled on their behalf. You are correct that HMCTS staff are, on the whole, very helpful. The HMCTS Senior Enforcement Manager for the area in which the case I have highlighted occurred was very helpful indeed.
      Last edited by bluebottle; 7th July 2013, 15:03:PM.
      Life is a journey on which we all travel, sometimes together, but never alone.

Comment

thank you for the help i will ring the court in the morning.
        is it possible i could be classed as vulnerable,due to my now being unemployed.
        I have read of a no of instances of collectica baiiliffs abusing their power,it amazes me that they are employed at all by a court service.

Comment

Dont think being unemployed classed as being vulnerable.Try to sort it with court and if they take it away from bailiffs pay it on time evertime,if its still with the bailiffs sfter you talk to court they will hit you with charges

Comment

If you have no possessions there, other than clothes, bedding, etc, do a stat dec & show it to baliffs/send copy to them (with proof of postage).

Btw, re the 'vunerable' issue, & being as diplomatic as possible, do you have any 'recognised' mental health issues? (you don't need to answer on here, but it could put you in the 'vunerable' category.
            CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
            Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
            gets his brain a-going.
            Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
            The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

Originally posted by plasticpen View Post
              thank you for the help i will ring the court in the morning.
              is it possible i could be classed as vulnerable,due to my now being unemployed.
              I have read of a no of instances of collectica baiiliffs abusing their power,it amazes me that they are employed at all by a court service.
              It does make me wonder if whoever vets the tenders by bailiff companies conducts checks into their business practices. If they did, I am of the opinion, none of them would be awarded a contract. However, by letting HMCTS know, at every opportunity, exactly what is going on, only then will something be done about it.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                Collectica were caught out by their own lies. I am waiting to see if HMCTS launch an investigation into other cases Collectica have handled on their behalf.
                :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig:

Comment

Originally posted by bluebottle View Post
                  It does make me wonder if whoever vets the tenders by bailiff companies conducts checks into their business practices. If they did, I am of the opinion, none of them would be awarded a contract. However, by letting HMCTS know, at every opportunity, exactly what is going on, only then will something be done about it.
                  Someone senior will go, "Tut, tut!" ?

Comment

Originally posted by charitynjw View Post
                    If you have no possessions there, other than clothes, bedding, etc, do a stat dec & show it to baliffs/send copy to them (with proof of postage).
                    Bearing in mind the usual disregard bailiffs have for veracity, it might be useful to send another copy by Recorded or Special Delivery.

Btw, re the 'vunerable' issue, & being as diplomatic as possible, do you have any 'recognised' mental health issues? (you don't need to answer on here, but it could put you in the 'vunerable' category.
                    Mightn't his elderly papa be considered vulnerable?

Comment

thanks for everybodys input.
                      I phoned the enforcement no today but was told that I had to refer everything to the bailiff.
                      The fact that I had phoned them and talked to somebody when i received the further steps notice was brushed aside,she did have the warmth of an iceberg and was sticking to procedure.
                      I do suffer from depression which is an ongoing thing,and I effectively am fathers carer,he knows nothing about this and it certainly wouldn't be good for his health if he did.

how do I go about going down the vulnerability route could father be part of this?
                      There is virtually nothing in the house that i own,do i have to prove ownership of goods in the house

Comment

My friends father was a court bailiff and they had to be exemplary in how they behaved
                        and they got stood on if they werent

Comment

I phoned the enforcement no today but was told that I had to refer everything to the bailiff.
                          The fact that I had phoned them and talked to somebody when i received the further steps notice was brushed aside,she did have the warmth of an iceberg and was sticking to procedure.
                          Why did you not expect to be dealing with an inherently indolent jobsworth?

I do suffer from depression which is an ongoing thing,and I effectively am fathers carer,he knows nothing about this and it certainly wouldn't be good for his health if he did.

how do I go about going down the vulnerability route could father be part of this?
                          You will need some sort of evidence, such as a letter or some support from Social Services or a headshrinker.

There is virtually nothing in the house that i own,do i have to prove ownership of goods in the house
                          Your father would need to swear a statutory declaration to that effect before a Commissioner for Oaths.
                          The uncommissioned and profane oaths your father may utter will not be helpful. :grin:

Comment

My friends father was a court bailiff and they had to be exemplary in how they behaved
                            and they got stood on if they werent
                            Yes.

But then it got privatised "to save money" and the system became very much nastier.

Comment

Originally posted by CleverClogs View Post
                              :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig::flypig: :flypig: :flypig:
                              I wouldn't be too quick to launch the flying pigs, Cloggy. HMCTS don't pull MC Distress Warrants from contracted bailiff companies lightly. I would be very surprised if HMCTS do not launch an investigation in Collectica's conduct in this matter.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X