• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff Charges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiff Charges

Hi there all, I wonder if someone could help me,

I received a Liability Order for my Council Tax and received a visit from a bailiff who put a letter through my door on 20/3/2013 demanding the Council Tax outstanding with additional charges of £250, stating these were the costs as he had bought a van to take my possessions.

I have paid the Council Tax in full, directly to the organisation he works for and refused to pay his charges. The organisation states that I must pay the bailiff.

I have located the Certified Bailiff on the Bailiffs register and discovered that his license expired on 24/2/2013, one month earlier, and that his license was not renewed until 22/3/2013, after his visit. This has been confirmed by the issuing court.

Today (5/6/13) I have received another letter through my door demanding the payment of his charges of £250.

My question is: Is a bailiff allowed to levy charges when his license is out of date? (as it was when he visited), and am I right in assuming that a bailiff collecting council tax arrears may only charge £24.50 on his first visit, £18.50 on his second visit, and only be able to charge reasonable costs for removing goods, (eg. a van) once he has entered the property and carried out a levy?The bailiff has not been inside my property.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am expecting a visit from this man again today!

Desperate!
    Last edited by Neice; 5th June 2013, 09:51:AM. Reason: Ommitance
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiff Charges

Originally posted by Neice View Post
    My question is: Is a bailiff allowed to levy charges when his license is out of date?
    No.

and am I right in assuming that a bailiff collecting council tax arrears may only charge £24.50 on his first visit, £18.50 on his second visit,
    Yes.

and only be able to charge reasonable costs for removing goods, (eg. a van) once he has entered the property and carried out a levy? The bailiff has not been inside my property.
    The misbegotten momzer (sorry about the tautology) does not need to enter one's house to levy distress if there is a motor car, garden equipment or garden furniture on which to levy distress. However, charging a "van fee" on a first visit is more than a bit naughty.

Tell the Head of Revenues at the Council what he's been doing and how his apparent employers allow him to work on his own whilst uncertificated.

Which band of brigands ^W bailiffs did he say employed him?

Comment

Thank you so much
      He works for Stanford and Green Ltd, in Maidstone, and that is correct as I found him on the bailiff register.

Comment

Then Stanford and Green Ltd. should know better, as they may be liable to repay all his charges.

Comment

I have located the Certified Bailiff on the Bailiffs register and discovered that his license expired on 24/2/2013, one month earlier, and that his license was not renewed until 22/3/2013, after his visit. This has been confirmed by the issuing court.
          I've just checked the register - please see the attached file - and I cannot see that bugger anywhere.
          Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately for me, I checked with Medway County Court and the judge ACTUALLY granted him an extension to his license on 5/3/2013!! and I now have a copy of that document. Additionally, his ACTUAL license has now been renewed as of 22/03/13, also confirmed directly with the court, and they have not yet updated their records, so proof of the pudding that the register is not always up to date! So it appears he was in license when he imposed the charges, however I am now disputing anything over £42.50, especially for the van charge as he made no previous levy.

Comment

the judge ACTUALLY granted him an extension to his license on 5/3/2013!!
              That is a pity. Still, look on the bright side...

At least that judge isn't adjudicating a knobbly knees contest. :rofl:

Comment

Make them list their fees in black & white by sending them Letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters best done initally by email followed by a copy in the post. Have you confirmed with the Council how much the LO was for - you'd be amazed at those that don't agree with what a Bailiff purports it to be.

Comment

At £250, that bugger's purported "van fee" is twice what Stanford & Green Ltd state on their site - link

Even by their "standards", he's overcharging!

Comment

Please bare in mind if you have paid the bailiff company directly they will of already taken their fees out as per contracts with councils, they take their fees out first
                    None of the beliefs held by "Freemen on the land" have ever been supported by any judgments or verdicts in any criminal or civil court cases

Comment

Originally posted by josephbloggs View Post
                      Please bare in mind if you have paid the bailiff company directly they will of already taken their fees out as per contracts with councils, they take their fees out first
                      Welcome back, Peter! :rofl:

Comment

Originally posted by josephbloggs View Post
                        They are only entitled to take lawful fees though. Send the letter Ploddertom stated, then post up their reply.

Any recourse / complaint should not be through the bailiff company but to the council who are vicariously liable.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X