• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

phoenix and newlyn bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoenix and newlyn bailiffs

I have received 2 bailiffs letters this week! Yes I know i'm an idiot for getting into this mess but its now got to the point where i am absolutely terrified of them taking things from my house. I have no money and no crefit cards. both these things are for council tax non payment.I spoke to one on the phone who said he would accept a repayment over 6 months if i pay 300 by next wednesday and then pay it off over 6 months, he has promised that no one will come if i do this, is he telling the truth? The other one is not accepting repayment and wants £600 asap. Is there anything I can do, the charges keep mounting up and I'm terrified about a knock on the door, especially at the moment as I work but sometimes my partner is in and i can't tell him whats going on and at the moment I have a builder in and i'm frightened he will let a bailiff in without realising who it is? What can I do? Your advice would be greatly appreciated as I am in a permanent state of fear.
    Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: phoenix and newlyn bailiffs

Have you read this

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax

The title of your thread lists 2 Bailiffs, does this mean you have more than 1 Liability Order and/or from more 1 Council?

Comment

yes from 2 different councils, stupidly i fell behind with them and now feel like i'm trapped and don't know where to turn, am dreading the knock at the door. have read all the main advice about not opening the door but am worried if someone else is in and i'm not and they let them in.

Comment

The CT that you owe, is it for a time when you lived on your own or with another person before the OH you are with now?

I think you are going to have to come clean about this and it would be better to do it sooner rather than later. You have 2 Bailiffs calling calling for 2 separate debts so the chances of them calling & spilling the beans when you are not in are quite high. The only other way of keeping this quiet is if you have the means to pay in full which I understand you do not.

All is not lost however but it will depend on you having to tell others. As long as the Bailiff is denied entry to your home or otherwise prevented from obtaining a levy on goods outside - most notably a motor vehicle. Doing this will keep any lawful chargdown to a minimum of £42-50 for each account. If the debt is from a previous address and is down to you solely then the Bailiff can only seize your goods but if he sees an opportunity he may well seize those of your partner and use this as a lever against you.

You may of course pay the Council direct via online banking, Council website or automated phone. If you do this you need to know how much you owe - see further down, you will also need to allow for lawful fees incurred. If you do pay the Council in this manner I would strongly suggest payments are made weekly - £10 every Thursday for example, this quickly builds a payment history and may make it difficult should the Council decide to take further enforcement such as a Committal Hearing. Have you also sent off for a breakdown of the fees they are charging, if not do it ASAP see Letter 1 http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
        1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
        2 - the dates they were obtained
        3 - the addresses they were for
        4 - the period of time each covers
        5 - how much each one was for
        6 - how much is still outstanding
        7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
        8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

Please note this will not go away and I would urge you to speak to the others it may affect, that way everyone bats off the same hymn sheet should you get a knock at the door.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X