• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marstons / Limited Company / Accountant / Personal Decalaration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marstons / Limited Company / Accountant / Personal Decalaration

Hi all,

I've just read the articles about dealing with Bailiffs, which are very good and I wondered if anyone could offer any advice on my situation please?

Here goes...
    I own a limited company which was doing well 2008-10, but with the financial crisis, I lost my contracts and due to a situation with my wife's sister's ex (who is now in prison as a result), we had to move house several times. This led to debts with HMRC and my accountant.

I've since gone back into regular employment which supports my wife and children, but doesn't allow enough to pay off debts. About 15 months ago my accountant who was taking a long, long time to prepare my company accounts, finally arranged a meeting with me late one evening after work. He passed me 8 documents to sign, one of which turned out to be a personal declaration for any debt owed to him. I skipped through the letter not realising what it meant and trusting my accountant signed everything. Anyway, I paid bits and bats to my accountant over the following months before finally ceasing trading.

In November 2011 my accountant took my company to court and it was given a CCJ for a debt of £900. The following day Marston's sent me a High Court Writ saying I had to pay £1600 immediately or my personal belonging would be sold at auction. I rang them immediately and after being insulted for a few minutes, they agreed to £100/month, starting in Jan 12. I've paid £600 so far, but late last month they said I had to start paying £150/month, which I literally can't afford. They have since sent a bailiff round in a small car/van who knocked once, then posted a card saying my debt was back up to £1500, i.e. a £500 fee for posting a card. The letter says if I don't pay the full amount now, the writ will be enforced at these premises shortly.

The premises are a semi-detached council house, which we are renting. I don't know what is going to happen next, but know I can't raise my payments and that I can't answer the door. My relationship with my wife is in tatters due to the situation and we are near splitting up over it, with the knock on effects on our young children.

My queries are:
    1. Are the excessive fees legal and can I challenge them without going to the High Court? I don't think I could afford to do that?
    2. Does the personal declaration transfer the debt to a private debt? All correspondence is to my company at the moment, but I get the feeling this is their back up plan to add more fees and somehow gain entry to my property.
    3. If they do gain entry somehow (by breaking in, which I know is illegal) can they take EVERYTHING?
    4. Can I just ignore them? According to their website terms: if, after 3 visits, no access is gained to the property, the Client will be charged and that'll be the end of it, unless the Client pays for the action to re-commence, or similar. So far, I've had 1 visit. Should I take my chances?
    5. What can I do!!!?!???

Sorry for the long question, but I've not seen anything similar anywhere online and don't know who else to ask (other than Citizens Advice Bureau who I have emailed for an appointment this evening.)

Thanks for your help.

Martin.
    Tags: None

Re: Marstons / Limited Company / Accountant / Personal Decalaration

Notes:
    1. the business was run from my laptop in my living room.
    2. the only company asset is the laptop.
    3. the business account is overdrawn.
    4. i've been paying £100/month from my wage.

Comment

Make yourself bankrupt and thereby deny any more money to that ba:censored:rd acountant!

Comment

Hi Martin

CleverClogs has told you one way, if this is something you do not wish to do then I would advise the following.

Only enforcement proceedings have been transferred to the High Court all other issues remain with the County Court. If you have an agreement to pay £100 then that is all you pay anymore and it is voluntary. To set your mind at rest the HCEO cannot force entry to your home unless you have previously allowed him peaceful entry but if you have a detached garage or other detached outbuildings he make force entry to these if he believes there are goods inside that may satisfy the debt. The item most at risk may be a motor vehicle providing it is not on HP or Lease.

To proceed you need to fill out Form N244 and if possible take it in person to a County Court that also acts as a District Registry of the High Court. The grounds you can use are just as simple as not being able to afford the fees demanded and I would also add you are going to make an application for a Variation Order. Cost for this application is £80 unless on certain Benefits or Low Wage - see Form EX160A for more info on Fee Remission.

I mentioned a Variation Order above, if things are tight you may still apply to have the amount you pay varied and if granted there is s8d all your creditor can do - cost of this application is £40/£50, can't remember exact figure.

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

I've been thinking... the CCJ and High Court Enforcement is against my company, not me, so I have nothing to worry about. The company has no cash and no assets and is going to be wound up. The company is a limited company, meaning my liability is limited. As such, I'm not paying any more of my personal cash to them.

If they take action against me personally using the personal declaration, then my personal declaration was that I would take responsibility for £900 owed to my accountant and I've already paid £600. I would happily pay another £300 over 3 months, direct to my accountant to end this matter, but Marstons are getting nothing more. It is a company debt and I will write to them saying as much.

Thoughts?

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Are you paying your creditor direct? If so are you sure they are not redirecting it to marstons?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X