• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs Business Rates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs Business Rates

I've had a long drawn out case with my Local Authority regarding Business Rates, culminating in a full hearing at Magistrates Court which i lost. I'm now personally liable which i accept and might have to consider an IVA.
    Bristow & Sutor are acting for the LA, after turning them away from my business address they attended my home and levied on my wife's vehicle.

I originally purchased the car through a limited company in June 05 on HP with a final balloon payment, the company sold the car to a finance company in June 08 and my wife then purchased the car on finance at that point, the HP was completed in June 2011.

My problem is the car was originally registered to me personally and my wife's name does not appear on the logbook, we didn't want to ad another owner at the time.

We've written to B&S with copies of all documentation but they insist the car will be taken, I've pointed out that the name on the log book does not mean ownership but they will not accept this.

Any help or thoughts appreciated
    Tags: None

Re: Bailiffs Business Rates

As long as it is a limited company and you can provide a paper trail with the relevant invoices and finance agreements, the bailiff company has not got a leg to stand on.

However, you might also want to weigh up against that, the fact that failure to inform the DVLA of a change in Registered Keeper is also a criminal offence.

Comment

If Bailiff decides to take vehicle and argue later can they come on private land and to what extent would they go to move other vehicles to get access?

Comment

Bailiffs can move other vehicles to get access to levied goods. They even can break open a locked garage, but they probably wont want to break it open incase its not in there.

I dont have much to add, apart from swapping cars with a friend until the problem is sorted. If you dont own your home then consider an IVA, but do get advice. There are somne debt that are not nullified by an IVA or a BR.

Comment

My question how can bailiffs legally move other cars if not owned by the debtor

Comment

Are there any company assets inside the house?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X