• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Hi everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi everyone

Hi everyone,

I really need your help please.
    At my old address my partner and I had council tax arrears and he had parking fines. Brisow and Sutor got involved and I stupidly let them in as they said they would take my car away. I signed a letter saying I would pay STUPID amounts so I could keep my furniture.
    My partner and I have moved and forgot about it as we were seperating and it was an awful time.

They found out where I lived and came to the new house, I didn't let them in however kept them on the drive and again agreed to a stupid payment plan.
    I notified them that I was on my own, yesterday I came home to a notice saying I had to pay £2373.50 which included a £228 charge for the visit.

Please, please can someone help?

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Hi everyone

You need to speak to someone at the Council and ask the following questions:
    1 - how many Liability Orders they have against you
    2 - the dates they were obtained
    3 - the addresses they were for
    4 - the period of time each covers
    5 - how much each one was for
    6 - how much is still outstanding
    7 - the dates they were passed on for enforcement
    8 - the dates & amounts of any payments

You should also send the Bailiffs a request for a breakdown of the fee applied, send letter 1 from http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Useful-Letters

Comment

Thank you, I can't do this until later. In the meantime can the bailiffs go to my house and take anything? Thanks

Comment

They can only take anything of value that may be lying outside - motor vehicle, quality garden furniture etc - this is what they mean by saying "with or without your presence". They have no right of entry regardless of what the may say.

Comment

i have spoken to the council and they are refusing to take back the account, I can't get hold of Bristow & Sutor regarding my account as have been on hold for over half an hour and am at work. Is there any way I can persuade the council to take back the debt? They are saying once it goes to a balliff it is out of their hands.

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Lillylashes01 View Post

They are saying once it goes to a balliff it is out of their hands. Load of bull - the Council are 100% responsible and can take it back at any time they like - they just prefer not to.

Thank you
            Pay the Council direct and ignore the Bailiff, who will eventually get fed up and move to pastures new. There is no law that says you have to speak to or deal with a Bailiff and where possible it is easier to ignore them as eventually they will go away but this can take take some 3 months or so.

On the other hand you may take the bull by the horns and dictate yourself what you are going to pay. This may be done using online banking, Council website or automated phone line. You may even pay in cash at the Council offices & if they refuse this method you must ask for the name & position of the person refusing as this will form the basis of any complaint.

Whichever method you use pay at regular intervals - weekly is best say £5 every Thursday - this quickly builds a history of your willingness to pay should the Council decide to seek further enforcement action. You will have to budget extra for lawful Bailiff fees but providing they have not gained access to your home or otherwise made a levy on goods outside then the maximum they can charge is £42-50.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
            Working...
            X