• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

What Legal rights to the RLP have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Legal rights to the RLP have?

I just want to know what legal rights the RLP have and what will happen if i do not pay a shoplifting fine?

I was made redundant and got cought shoplifting from a UK high st retailer - it was the first (and last!!!) time i will ever do it and they were incredibly nice about it and did not call the police but just said i would recieve an "admin fine" from the RPL.

Now i have heard some quite contrivertial things about them and that they actually do not have any real power to make me pay the £100+ fine. Is this true and what will happen if i don't pay?

I am thoroughly ashamed and disgusted with myself and learnt my lesson and will never do it again, i was just wondering what this RLP are all about and what will happen if i do not pay?

thanks
    MollyK
    Tags: None

Re: What Legal rights to the RLP have?

Theres been some recent cases where Retail Loss Prevention have lost in court, because they couldn't actually prove a loss to the retailer, and that security staff dealing with thieves were simply doing their paid job, i.e. the shop still wasn't losing out on anything as they were employed to do the job whether the did or did not catch thieves.

So, if whatever you stole was undamaged, and returned back to the shop in a condition where it was entirely saleable, then the shop in question has suffered no loss whatsoever.

Shops or anyone are not allowed to gain from supposed losses.

Did the Police simply caution you? Did it goto court?

I suspect they cautioned you and it didn't goto court and the item was returned in perfect condition.

Was this the case?

Comment

Hi, No the police were not called, they store were really nice about it and made me a cup of tea (which made me feel even worse!) i was simply told how silly i was and not to do it again, they didn't take my picture and they also spelt my surname wrong (which i didn't correct them on...).

Leson LEARNT, but just wondering if i can get away with not paying the fine, or delaying until i can find a new job?

Comment

Hi, No the police were not called, they store were really nice about it and made me a cup of tea (which made me feel even worse!) i was simply told how silly i was and not to do it again, they didn't take my picture and they also spelt my surname wrong (which i didn't correct them on...). It was a necklace which was undammages and put back out on the shop floor.

Leson LEARNT, but just wondering if i can get away with not paying the fine, or delaying until i can find a new job?

Comment

Hi

You say they spelt your name wrong, does that mean that you signed some kind of document?

D

Comment

Have you actually rceived the demand from RLP yet?

If so can you post up the text of it - excluding any personal information of course.

Comment

i didnt sign anything they just wrote down my name and address. Not recieved yed but sure i'll pop up what they say when i recieve it!

Comment

Have a read in here http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...Civil-Recovery

Comment

Originally posted by MollyK1 View Post
                  just wondering if i can get away with not paying the fine,
                  Whatever it might be - and I could (but won't) use some unpleasant language to describe it - it certainly would not be a fine.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X