• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Help please :) Rossendales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please :) Rossendales

Hi, I've read through alot of the posts and would just like a bit of clarification really...

I've had 1 letter and 2 bailiffs visits at my previous address (parents house) each time they said I don't live there.

I owe £311 for council tax.

So, what do I do? They have made no contact with me at my actual address so should I just start paying the council in installments online, so if they ever do come here I have proof of payment?

Or should I contact rossendales directly, argue the fees they are most likely going to strap me with for visit to (not) my address, and set up a payment plan with them??

Thanks alot
    Tags: None

Re: Help please Rossendales

http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...67-Council-Tax

Have a read of the above. Basically, yes, start paying the council a fixed weekly amount, religiously, online or via their automated telephone system. If the bailffs do come, don't let them in. If you have a car, park it a little way away so they can't levy on it. If they catch up with you before you clear the debt, as long as they don't gain access or levy on anything, your liability to the bailiffs will be limited to £42.50.

Comment

As above I am with Labman...I can't stress enough for you to have no contact at all with the Bailff, pay on line without fail every week/fortnight/month the amount that your circumstances will allow. If they do call on you then again Labman's advice is sound..do not get yorself into a position they can find anything to levy upon...allow for their legitimate fees but don't pay them anything that is at all questionable.

Pepsie

Comment

Thank you!

Is it right that this would be the 1st contact about the debt? Should the council not have sent me a letter beforehand?

Also, I rang the bailiff to tell him that is not my address and that I will be dealing directly with council. He agreed, but still went to my parents house a second time? Im worried he'll take their car or get into their house How can I stop this? Obviously ringing him made no difference

Comment

If you are really worried and are prepared for the bailiffs to have your correct address, the council obviously have your correct address, so tell them and ask them to inform the bailiffs.

There is possibly something to be gained from the bailiffs not being able to visit you if they don't know where you live, but I don't know how understanding your parents are. All they would have to do is produce the V5(C) and the bailiff would have to move on.

Comment

Ok, so the they couldn't just take it, thats fine then. They leave there door unlocked which is what i'm worried about :L

Yes I gave the bailiff my correct address, not too bothered about that- i have done my research on what not to do/ say!

Just want the council to take back the debt tbh, going to ring them on monday and beg haha

Comment

If the bailiffs think you live at your parents house they may levy on your parents good. They have the right to walk through an open or unlocked door. The levy would be invalid, but may cause embarrassment and some annoyance getting it lifted.

Personally I'd just start paying the council, they are highly unlikely to take it back.

Comment

Do you think I should tell Rossendales I am paying the debt directly or not?

Comment

I think you should totally ignore Rossendales if at all possible. Bailiffs are not nice people and best kept at arms length. You have no legal obligation to deal with them at all.

Comment

Sweet Thank you very much for your time x

Comment

Just to butt in here if the bailiffs go to Stephx parents house and gain entry or levy or even clamp and seize the car thats there would this not be a criminal offence for which if the police were called they would have to arrest the bailiff and charge them ,if not this sorry country is going to the dogs or can we all enter comeones house uninvited and harrass the occupants .
                      Even the police need warrants and section notices sanctioned by a senior officer/magistrate or judge,
                      If eveyone stands up to these bullies especially those working for councils the system must change

Comment

In theiry you are absolutely right, a crime has been committed and should be followed through. However, in reality this will never happen. The police may come if you'revery lucky to prevent a Breach of the Peace, but nowadays are more likely to side with the bailiff than the person against whom the crime has been committed.

Oh that things were different!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X