• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Confero Collections Ltd

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confero Collections Ltd

Hi there just wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Hubby had a parking fine which for one reason and another he didn't pay, anyway today he has received a Notice before Seizure. Debt passed to them was £215, they have stated amount due is £463.84!!!

Now my understanding is that they can charge 5.5% for each visit (I may have this wrong!!), can they charge levy fee or van attendance? As I'm not sure where or how they have come up with this figure!!

Are there any other charges I should know about before we start arguing with them about the charges.

Thanks in advance for any advice!!
    Tags: None

Re: Confero Collections Ltd

Have you read this

*Link Archived*
    Last edited by Tools; 14th June 2015, 13:37:PM. Reason: 404

Comment

Thank Ploddertom, I've had a look at that but it doesn't tell me about levy fees, or van attendance fees. Just want to be forearmed with as much information as possible before I tackle this company.

Many thanks

Comment

Fees
        Sending a letter £11.20 (Can only be charged once)

Sum up to £200 28% (Minimum fee of £28.00)

Any sum over £200 5.5%

Bailiffs can charge fees for a maximum of three visits.
        It is illegal to charge multiple fees for recovering more than one ticket in one visit.------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        Was the fine a PCN or a FPN?
        Last edited by labman; 4th April 2012, 20:16:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Its a PCN, is that 28% for the first £200 and 5.5% on the remaining balance? and is there anything on levy charges or attendance with a van etc?

Comment

This is all you need for fees for this sort of fine:

The Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts (Certificated Bailiffs) Regulations 1993
            Updated by:
            The Enforcement of Road Traffic Debts (Certificated Bailiffs) (Amendment) Regulations 2003

Fees
            Sending a letter £11.20 (Can only be charged once)

Sum up to £200 28% (Minimum fee of £28.00)

Any sum over £200 5.5%

Bailiffs can charge fees for a maximum of three visits.
            It is illegal to charge multiple fees for recovering more than one ticket in one visit.

Transportation of Seized Goods Reasonable Costs (these should be broken down)

See Schedule One of the 1993 Regulations read alongside Number 2 of the 2003 Amendments for other incidental fees.

__________________________________________________ __

Thus on a fine of £215 they can charge £57 (fees are always round up to the next pound) + £11.20 if you were sent a letter to the right address.

In this case you need to phone 08457 045007 and ask for a Statutory Declaration, Out of Time - complete it and send it off.

If you file a Statutory Declaration, Out of Time, you should tell the bailiff and provide them with evidence. On receiving an acceptable application, the TEC will notify the Local Authority concerned, and give them 19 working days to either accept or reject the application.

If accepted, the application will be treated as ‘in time’ and the Court registration will be revoked. The matter is then referred back to the Local Authority who will decide on their next action. If rejected, the application will be referred to a Court Officer at the TEC for an impartial decision to be made.

You should also send this;

Your Address
            Date

To:
            Acme Bailiff Co
            Bailiff House

Ref: Account No: 123456

Dear Sir,

With reference to the above account, I would be grateful if you could provide me with a breakdown of all charges incurred.

This includes, but is not necessarily limited to the following:

a the time and date of any bailiff action that incurred a fee or charge.
            b the reason for the fee or charge.
            c the name(s) of the bailiff(s) that attended on each occasion a fee was charged.
            d the name(s) of the Court(s) at which the Bailiff(s) was/were Certificated.
            e the date of certification.

f the initial balance, and any amount currently outstanding on the account

This is not a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act S7 1998 so does not incur a fee of £10. You are obliged to provide this information.

I require this information within 14 days.

Yours faithfully,

Sign

PRINT NAME

Hope this helps!
            Last edited by labman; 4th April 2012, 22:59:PM.

Comment

Excellent, thank you so much for your help with this, will get on to it right away!!!

Comment

OK so I sent the above letter and have received a response from them with a breakdown (or sorts) of their fees.

Original debt £202.00
                Letter Fee £11.20 +VAT £13.44
                Visit Fee £57.00 + VAT £68.40
                Attendance to remove fee £150.00 + VAT £180.00
                Total £463.84

Does this look right?? Can they charge for attendance to remove, when a) they havent levied any goods, and b) they have already charged for a visit fee. Also can they charge VAT on all their charges?
                Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Sorry can anyone advise me on the above???

Comment

Hi Trlnurse

Yes VAT does apply to road traffic debts.

The only time VAT does not apply is for the following debts:

• Council Tax
                    • Business Rates
                    • Magistrates Court Distress Warrants.
                    • Child Support arrears.
                    • Income Tax.

Hope that helps. Though i would ask them for a copy of their VAT certificate to ensure they are VAT registered, if they are not registered for VAT then they can not add VAT and need to be reported to HMRC for VAT fraud.

If they have not given levied the goods, then the levy is invalid, but chances are they called when you were out and your car was on the drive and they levied it then. But either way they should have given you a copy of the levy.
                    Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

Excellent thanks Teaboy, so if I don't think they have levied the car they can't charge the £150 attendance fee, is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by trlnurse View Post
                        Excellent thanks Teaboy, so if I don't think they have levied the car they can't charge the £150 attendance fee, is that right?
                        If you were not supplied a copy of the levy then the levy is invalid, they would have to prove they served you with the levy.
                        Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X