• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council tax

On the 5th of march 2012 a bailif attended my adresse where rent a room when I got home I called thr bailiff. Roughly 2 years ago I had rented a property from a friend which I then moved out off but left my mother in the house responsible for the bills. The bill is for £617 I have telephone my local council who have imformed to get in touch with the bailiff company which I did the individual I spoke to informed me the bailiff can set up a payment plan as I'm not working at the moment. I then called the bailiff he stated the bill had to be paided in four week as that was the end of the financial year, I stated many times I could not afford to pay the whole amount at once and would be able to pay £40 every two weeks without myself in financial difficulty. He stated he woud come back in two days to remove goods from my rented room. Can I also say I did not recieve a reminder or final notice or summons. It also states I can inform the bailiff to return the debt to the council where I can set up a payment plan to suit my finances. Can someone assist me ASAP a I'm concerned my landlady would ask me to move and thr little personal goods I have are taken from me.
    Tags: None

Re: Council tax

As you have received no Final Notice, you should contact the council demanding they take the debt back. Make sure you are speaking to someone who is part of Council Tax Recovery and not just a front line person who tells you that you must deal with the bailiffs and there is nothing they can do.

They can do something, and if they have sent you no Final Notice, they should recall the debt and call off their appointed enforcement agents.

While you are talking to them, tell them your repayment offer, say you will be paying it directly to the council.

If they are awkward, tell them under no circumstances will you let the bailiffs into your home, so the debt will end up being returned to them in any case.

If you get no joy with this (be persistent, but polite) post back up for further help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X