• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Strange Letter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Letter

Hi,
    I've received a very strange letter today which looks as though it has come from the Leicester County Court. The letter inside however is formatted quite badly and my postcode is incorrect.
    The letter is telling me to attend court next week between the hours of 9 and 11 otherwise a judge may issue a warrant for my arrest. I have no idea what this is about, there is no case number on the letter, no references at all. The only other things on there are two numbers which I have rung. The person at the end of the phone as told me they are a court appointed bailiff and it is best to go to court next week...

I've tried ringing the courts but they have said that without a court case number they cannot do anything...

Is this normal for something like this to happen???
    Tags: None

Re: Strange Letter

Can you tell us the name of the Company this is from? I can't see it being the County Court as that deals with civil matters. You could always scan & post the letter here removing all personal info first.

Comment

Hi

Good way of ensuring that you are out of the house for whatever reason. Were the numbers you were given landlines or mobile?

Peter

Comment

The letter was addressed from HM courts and tribunal services...
        The numbers on there were both mobile and landline...

Comment

HI

What happens when you ring the landline number and ask for the claim reference, say you need it to identify yourself to the court, cant see why they would not give it to you if they are legit.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by peterbard View Post
            HI

What happens when you ring the landline number and ask for the claim reference, say you need it to identify yourself to the court, cant see why they would not give it to you if they are legit.

Peter
            You should also mention you will pass the details of the letter to the police if they can't give a court reference.
            They were out to get me!! But now it's too late!!

Comment

They told me they wouldn't give me a reference number as its against the data protection act...

Comment

Originally posted by gatsouk View Post
                They told me they wouldn't give me a reference number as its against the data protection act...
                Some one is pulling someone elses leg here, if you are serious ring the court manager and report the situation and tell them that someone is pretending to be a court enforcement officer, if they were legit they are required to identify themselves, if the court manager doesent want to know phone the police.

Peter

Comment

Better still take the letter into the court and show it to the court manager and ask them if its legit. I suspect the answer will be no. Plus they will be able to check the telephone numbers with the court bailifs telephone numbers too.

Also have you tried finding out who the landline number belongs too. First stop would be to search the number on google and on whocallsme website - as i suspect this maybe some kind of new scam if its not legit.

If it turns out to not be legit report it to the police as peter said above
                  Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (LB),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

I AM SO GOING TO GET BANNED BY CEL FOR POSTING terrible humour POSTS.

The Governess; 6th March 2012 GRRRRRR

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X