• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rundle & Co, it's not our debt!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rundle & Co, it's not our debt!

Hello All,

I've had a bit of a look through this site, and it seems great with some really good advice. I wonder if I might call on a bit of expertise, as I can't find a situation on here which really matches mine...

Back in September, we received post one Saturday informing us that Rundle & Co Bailiffs would be calling on the monday to sieze goods for an unspecified debt totalling around £1300. Panic followed!

After finally managing to get hold of someone from the company (they only open weekdays) we managed to trace the debt, and to cut a long story short, it stems from my wife's ex partner who, 10 years ago, ran the council tax debt up in her name after she had left him.

We got hold of him and he admitted liability and took ownership of the debt (even though he was sure he had paid it before), arranging a payment scheme with the bailiffs to pay all monies owed.

This morning through the door arrived another letter stating that there is still over £700 remaining and that they will be visiting to sieze goods to that amount as he has defaulted with payments...

Surely this has nothing to do with us. If my wife's ex partner has claimed ownership of this debt, and has defaulted in his payments, why are Rundle & Co planning on visiting us? Surely they should visit him, as it's his debt, nothing to do with us. Is there anything we can do?!

My wife is at home (While I'm on tour in Afghanistan) terrified that these people will come knocking on Monday morning. She has been on the phone to them, and they have said that they really don't care, and that they want the money on Monday morning or they will sieze our goods. She says that they seemed to find it funny when she got upset on the phone, and had no sympathy that I was out of the country, refusing to wait until I came home to deal with the situation...

Any advice or thoughts would be gratefully recieved.

Thanks
    Tags: None

Re: Rundle & Co, it's not our debt!

If this stems from a period after she left then hopefully she can provide proof of her residency elsewhere. She also needs information from the Council as to when this occurred. She should ring the Council ASAP and ask:
    1 - how many Liability Orders there are
    2 - when each one was obtained
    3 - what period of time each one covers
    4 - how much each one is for
    5 - how much is still outstanding on each one
    6 - the dates and amounts of any payments
    7 - the dates they were passed for enforcement

As far as the Bailiff is concerned there is no law that states she has to speak to or deal with a Bailiff. She must ensure all doors are locked and all windows are firmly closed. If she has a car then this should be parked well away - or is it maybe on finance.

If he does call then her best bet is to speak to him through the letterbox or upstairs window and try to record the call. He will threaten, bully, intimidate, lie & cheat as he wants to be in the house. He does not need the loo - if necessary he can use a tree, he does not need a drink for his pills - if he keels over make sure the door is locked before ringing an ambulance, he does not need the phone - he will have to go up the road to get a signal on his mobile.

Providing you prevent him gaining access to the home or otherwise gaining a levy on goods outside he is powerless and will eventually move on. He may threaten arrest, imprisonment, having any children put into care or even forcing entry - he can't do any of it.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: Rundle & Co, it's not our debt!

Excellent advice!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X