• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiff Being Horrible

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bailiff Being Horrible

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
    Yes.

Comment

My dear girl, your poor thing. What a great shame and worry for you.

Now, it would appear to me that Wendy with whom you need to address this matter. In my experience hosey ladies are an absolute delight and I am sure you will not go far wrong.

If the Amy is the same lady I have just complimented on another thread, she too seems a fine filly.

Of course one would hope advice could be posted publically so others, less knowledgeable than us, can learn. I am sure there must be sound reasons why this cannot be thhe case here.

Would I be correct to assume that Mr Clogs is perhaps a little too clever for them? One feels some anguish at the nature of the aforementioned Mr Clogs' posts.

Please do maintain a rapport with Wendy and Amy who seem so keen to give you genuine help.

Caspar too has posted some solid counsel on this issue. Perhaps Wendy, Amy and he would agree to work with you to resolve this little problem.

Comment

They've not been back yet. I don't want to go home. You're all so nice and kind on here. Wendy, are you in the chatroom tonight, I couldn't come on last night as my husband won't let me use the computer when he's at home. I think he's back late tonight though, so I might be able to get on. I'll wait on there and stay till he gets back if I can.

Comment

Aimright, I'm at work till 10 tonight, but am sure Amy will be about. I'll ask her. Don't worry, we'll help all we can.

Tortoise, thanks for the compliment. Of course any beneficial info will be posted later to help everyone.
          Is no longer here

Comment

Originally posted by Caspar View Post
            they cannot just come and take everything - that is rubbish. As I said before, don't let them in.

make sure you keep them out.
            This is very misleading although a Bailiff has to have a notice of seizure in place to remove your goods this can be done on the first visit if the Bailiff deems that the charge payer cannot or will not pay by any other means.

As others have told you already DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES ALLOW THE BAILIFF TO ENTER YOUR PROPERTY, if you are at home when they call either talk to them through the letter box or through a small window (not large enough for the Bailiff to climb through) try not to be intimidated by the Bailiff he may suggest that you will go to prison or that he will drill the locks out and remove your goods - it is very unlikely that you will be committed and the Bailiff cannot drill your locks out unless he has had access to your property already. please note the only way the Bailiff could try to have you sent to prison is to return the account to the council with a recommendation and the council will try to contact you again to set up a payment plan as they would rather get their money than send anyone to prison FACT.
            my advice to you woould be to write to the Bailiff office either by e-mail or post but in both cases cc the council tax office, with an offer of a payment plan and the first months payment in cleared funds (postal orders), they cannot refuse to take this payment but may refuse to accept your offer which is fine just repeat this process every month on the same date (where possible) untill the account is cleared.
            You may find that the Bailiff office will try to send a Bailiff out and levy your goods and set an arrangement, as long as you DO NOT LET HIM IN then they cannot do this (or charge you for it). the most you should expect in charges is £24.50 for the first visit and £18.00 for the second visit (£42.50) which will be stipulated on the letter he leaves you along with a running total, as long as you keep track of this and pay it all you should have no more problems.

Comment

Good and useful post, thanks.

Comment

Hi Ex Bailiff, as you've said my post was very misleading, do you think there is a realistic chance of them breaking in immediately then. I don't. Helpful post, but likely to scare unnecessarily in the first sentence which is n
                ot helpful in this instance IMO.

Comment

Casper,

The Bailiff cannot break into a dwelling for this type of debt, what I'm saying is that if he attends on the first visit and gains peaceful access to the property then he may choose to remove there and then if the situation dictates this course of action (see my previous post) this information is not intended to scare anyone but is useful for informational purposes.

Comment

well bailiffs are scary aren't they. But knowing what they can and can't get away with is empowering.

Comment

Originally posted by ExBailiff31 View Post
                      Casper,

The Bailiff cannot break into a dwelling for this type of debt, what I'm saying is that if he attends on the first visit and gains peaceful access to the property then he may choose to remove there and then if the situation dictates this course of action (see my previous post) this information is not intended to scare anyone but is useful for informational purposes.

........ in which case my post was not VERY misleading.

Don't worry about it! lol All part of forums and hardly the end of the world!

Comment

Fellow Beagles, please do not let's argue amongst ourselves. We are here to help others, not for personal gratification over who has the more up to date or correct knowledge.

Caspar's post was de minimis in terms of being incorrect, Ex Bailiff was possibly slightly overzealous in terms of his terminology. Both were correct in context.

Simply not worth falling out over dear fellows.

Aimright, I do think you should let your husband know that times have moved on. One has no right to ban one's spouse from carrying out a pursuit she finds satisfying.

I do hope you connected with Amy last night. Such a pleasant lady and seems to have a reasonable grasp of her area of expertise. I have yet to find fault with the young girl's advice.

Comment

Originally posted by ExBailiff31 View Post
                          This is very misleading although a Bailiff has to have a notice of seizure in place to remove your goods this can be done on the first visit if the Bailiff deems that the charge payer cannot or will not pay by any other means.
                          This is not entirely correct.

The purpose of a first visit by a bailiff is to gain payment either in full or an agreement to a repayment plan, to pay the outstanding. The last thing a bailiff wants is to remove goods, he wants money.

The council vicariously has a duty to ensure that the bailiff gives the debtor time and whether or not he is in a possession of a Notice of Seizure is immaterial, as long as the debtor keeps him out.

Quite apart from the above, how on earth could a bailiff possibly arrive at the conclusion that the debtor will not pay when he has never visited before and never been given the chance (by a bailiff).

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                          Working...
                          X