• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Extra charges for paying by card.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra charges for paying by card.

I am in the process of clearing a debt with the council through a company called Rossendales. I've noticed that whenever I make a payment by card, they charge 80p for doing so.
    Are they allowed to do this?
    My card is a Mastercard so I don't know if that makes any difference...
    Tags: None

Re: Extra charges for paying by card.

The short answer is no, they are not because it is not a prescribed fee.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
      The short answer is no, they are not because it is not a prescribed fee.
      But just wait until you try to 'argue' your case with the Local Government Ombudsman. I was told "you don't have to pay by that method" and that part of my complaint was dismissed.

However be also aware that you just might have given your permission for the Bailiffs to take this amount when signing something, particularly when it might be 'hidden' within the small print
      If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

Originally posted by Swingletree View Post
        But just wait until you try to 'argue' your case with the Local Government Ombudsman. I was told "you don't have to pay by that method" and that part of my complaint was dismissed.

However be also aware that you just might have given your permission for the Bailiffs to take this amount when signing something, particularly when it might be 'hidden' within the small print
        There is currently a super complaint by Which? with regards to this specific issue, ie processing fees for paying by a certain card method.
        "Family means that no one gets forgotten or left behind"
        (quote from David Ogden Stiers)

Comment

I bought it up with them yesterday and the womans answer was..."we're not a shop so we don't pay the tax to use that type of card so you have to"

Comment

Originally posted by hayleybabe84 View Post
            I bought it up with them yesterday and the womans answer was..."we're not a shop so we don't pay the tax to use that type of card so you have to"
            Did you really expect her reply to be accurate or even to make sense?

Comment

true

Comment

Why don't you ask the nice council person which regulation they using to make this stupid assumption.

When they let you know please broadcast the fact to this site. Cos none of us here, interested in Council tax recovery, have the foggiest idea to what they are referring too.
                If you do what you always do, you will always get what you always get!

Comment

YOu're lucky the bailiffs I'm involved with charge two pounds per trnaction and say that as they offer he free method of payment by cheque or by postal order then they are allowed to charge for other methods. I'veot got round to writing to them yet to ask how this over-rides the charges rules. When I brought this up with my local councillors I got no response of any sort.

Comment

well can't it all be claimed back under sec 75, or something like that? Have a look at Archer's Equita thread, I'm sure she did something along those lines.
                    Is no longer here

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                    Working...
                    X