• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Philips Magistrates Fine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philips Magistrates Fine

A friend of mine has an outstanding magistrates fine for £410, she has not heard anything from the court since 2007, and on Monday she receied a letter from Philips stating will be attending to receive goods for outstanding amount.

The letter from Philips has raised the bill to £485.

Can anyone advise on next steps, with handling this.

Many thanks.
    Tags: None

Re: Philips Magistrates Fine

Has she paid the fine?

She needs to find out when the warrant was issued.

Comment

No she seemed to be under the impression she had paid the fine, I don't think she was too sure exactly how much it was. She originally paid £150, and the fine was issued in 2006 for £600. she hasn't paid anything else since 2007, and has heard no more for the court until receiving the letter from the bailiff on Monday.

Does she need to speak with the court to find out when the fine was issued?

Comment

It doesn't really matter when the fine was issued, what matters is when the warrant was issued and the court will be able to tell her.

Also, she ought to check how much it is and whether or not she has paid it.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
          It doesn't really matter when the fine was issued, what matters is when the warrant was issued and the court will be able to tell her.

That was a typo I meant warrant as I understand it is only valid for 180days.

Also, she ought to check how much it is and whether or not she has paid it.
          The court have confirmed that she has only paid £190 of the £600 fine back in 2006. Fine remaining is £410.

However, is it normal to not hear anything from the court for nearly 4 years before forwarding to a baliff. I have asked her to speak with the court again tomorrow to find out when the distress warrant was issued, would she not have been informed from the courts of a date a distress warrant will be occuring? as she has heard nothing since 2007?

Comment

A magistrates' fine is a serious issue and must always be regarded as a primary debt; as important as your mortgage and council tax payments.

The reason for the issue of the warrant, I believe, is because it has not been paid. So I imagine that the warrant has only recently been issued and will now be live and valid for 6 months, as opposed to the bailiff attempting to collect on an expired warrant.

Comment

Amy, what would you suggest are the next steps, she cannot afford to repay the total amount in one hit, being that she is single mum on minimum wage. She has called Philips and suggested payments of £40 per month. They have refused this offer and stated she must pay £97 per month, this is almost her entire wages for the week, so would leave her unable to pay her rent or council tax or feed her child. Philips then hung up on her.

She has paid the £40 via paypoint anyway, but what is the best way for her to handle this?

Comment

Originally posted by trlnurse View Post
                Amy, what would you suggest are the next steps, she cannot afford to repay the total amount in one hit, being that she is single mum on minimum wage. She has called Philips and suggested payments of £40 per month. They have refused this offer and stated she must pay £97 per month, this is almost her entire wages for the week, so would leave her unable to pay her rent or council tax or feed her child. Philips then hung up on her.

She has paid the £40 via paypoint anyway, but what is the best way for her to handle this?

Hi,

I can't help on the best way forward as Amy will know far better than myself the right approach to take. I can offer advise on dealing with Phillips as I myself am dealing with them at the moment. I would advise your friend not to phone Philips at all, not only is it a pointless exercise as they will just be rude, unhelpful and put the phone down on you. I would suggest she keeps everything in writing only, that way she will have a paper trail should it be needed in the future.

I hope her problems are soon resolved.

Comment

Originally posted by trlnurse View Post

She needs to speak with the court and find out the facts of this first; how much she has paid, how much is owed and when the warrant was issued.

When she has this information she can and should contact the Fines Department of the Magistrates Court. A date will be arranged for her to attend for a Means Enquiry Hearing. She should do this immediately. At the hearing she will be required to complete an Income & Expenditure form in order that the Magistrates can agree repayments at an affordable level.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                  Working...
                  X