• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Levy on my car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Levy on my car

Mountains and molehills spring to mind on this thread.

Wendy is completely correct and an arrangement should be made with the council, she is also correct about the car - bailiffs do not care and it is up to the debtor to prove it is someone else's and not up to the bailiff to prove it is the debtor's.

The council cannot force you to deal with the bailiffs, if you simply ignore the bailiffs they will have no choice but to return the account to the council 'Nulla Bona'. Bailiffs on the other hand will try and force you to deal with them and it will more than likely begin with them seizing your car.

I do not believe that the car is exempt from seizure because it is needed for travelling to and from your place of work. The legislation states:-

Such tools, books, vehicles and other items of equipment as are necessary to the debtor for use personally by him/her in his/her employment or business.

Comment

I've tried making an offer to the council, i set out a detailed payment offer to them meaning the debt would be paid within less than 6 months but while they said they would not refuse my payments they would not recall the bailiffs!!
      I haven't signed any levy against the car, i haven't signed anything for them. I wasn't aware they needed my signature to take my car??
      I have made a 1st payment already to the council on-line so the debt is already being paid and i'm parking my car well away from my house, its just the fact that they keep adding £110 van removal charges (even though the bailiff & another guy come in a small car) onto my account everytime they come so i feel like this debt is never going to be paid!!
      If the council won't recall this i don't think this will ever go away

Comment

All you need to do is to keep up your payments with the council and keep the bailiff out of your house, if you do these two things then there is nothing that the bailiff can do. Nothing and as above, the account will have to be returned.

The bailiff can add as many fees as he likes for whatever he likes; he can say he turned up at your house with a fleet of vans complete with police outriders, but it does not change the fact that he can only charge what is set in legislation and if you continue to ignore them, they and their invented fees will eventually disappear, but if you allow them to wear you down and persuade you to believe them, then they will win.

So the choice is yours.

Comment

Well said Amy - couldn't agree more!

Didn't realise you'd already made payment to the council, sorry, or would not have suggested trying to come to an arrangement - you've already done it.

Stick it out - you will repay the debt TO THE COUNCIL and the bailiffs will eventually go away!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X