• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs. taking my pets + more

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bailiffs. taking my pets + more

With the issue of pets what you must make clear to the Bailiff is that they are covered by the changes to the Animal Welfare Acts and that removing them would cause them unneccessary stress.
    Check out the DEFRA website as there is loads of info there in particular http://www.defra.gov.uk/foodfarm/far...dutytocare.pdf

Comment

The bailiff can only seize what is available to him.

So, for example if you owe council tax and your only possession is a Ford Mondeo, then that is what he will seize. If your assets include a Ford Mondeo and a Ferrari, then it would be a bit much if he seized your Ferrari as opposed to the Ford Mondeo unless the size of the debt warranted a seizure of such an expensive asset.

However, if you own a garage selling Ferraris then quite possibly the only asset available for him to seize would be a Ferrari.

Therefore, it follows that the bailiff will not seize a dog or a cat from a home, which would cost him far more to care for than he is ever likely to make selling at auction when it is easier to seize a plasma TV or a laptop. Unless, of course, the animals are the only asset available to him to seize, which is highly unlikely in a domestic property, but not so unlikely if you own a kennels or a stables with valuable animals.

Comment

I cant find any specific legislation regarding domestic pets Certainly not listed under exemptions in the new publication "Law of Seizure of Goods" by John Kruse.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Muffet View Post
          I cant find any specific legislation regarding domestic pets Certainly not listed under exemptions in the new publication "Law of Seizure of Goods" by John Kruse.
          Originally posted by Amy View Post
          The bailiff can only seize what is available to him.

So, for example if you owe council tax and your only possession is a Ford Mondeo, then that is what he will seize. If your assets include a Ford Mondeo and a Ferrari, then it would be a bit much if he seized your Ferrari as opposed to the Ford Mondeo unless the size of the debt warranted a seizure of such an expensive asset.

However, if you own a garage selling Ferraris then quite possibly the only asset available for him to seize would be a Ferrari.

Therefore, it follows that the bailiff will not seize a dog or a cat from a home, which would cost him far more to care for than he is ever likely to make selling at auction when it is easier to seize a plasma TV or a laptop. Unless, of course, the animals are the only asset available to him to seize, which is highly unlikely in a domestic property, but not so unlikely if you own a kennels or a stables with valuable animals.
          There you go

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X