• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

...2 years later, I find out about the court order

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...2 years later, I find out about the court order

Apparently a magistrates court has instructed bailiffs to reclaim property of mine for a council tax debt from 2007.

I was in receipt of council tax benefit at the time, and had no knowledge of this court order. I moved out of that property in June 2007, and the magistrates court order was made in February 2008 - it seems like a mistake to me.

In May this year, I left another property in a different council tax area (fully paid up on council tax). I went to settle up the deposit with my landlady a couple of weeks ago, and she had notices from the bailiffs (dated a week after I left the accommodation) saying they were intending to recover property to settle this debt (from the accommodation I've already left).

My landlady has no forwarding address for me, and as I am about to leave the country, I won't be on any council tax register. For now, I'm pretending I never picked up my post from the landlady....

Just wondering if it's worth contacting these guys and disputing the debt, ignoring it and trust they'll never catch up with me, or pay the amount and moan afterwards? It's about £400...

Re: ...2 years later, I find out about the court order

Are you planning on ever coming back to this country?

Comment

Re: ...2 years later, I find out about the court order

Christmas, funerals, birthdays - but permanently, no, not for a few years.
      I guess it would be statute barred by then? Not sure with Council Tax though...
      My real gripe is that I had the benefits at the time to cover it, but with all the paperwork involved in trying to be honest, I may as well keep the money & flee?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X