• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforcement Officer Home visit for LTD company debts - urgent advice please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcement Officer Home visit for LTD company debts - urgent advice please

I have posted this in another forum but am wondering if anyone here has any different advice! I hope you won't all slate me for posting in two forums! It is two separate forums, not posting the same thing in numerous places on one forum which i know annoys people!! Anyway, here goes....

My original post about three weeks ago is as follows:

This is all totally new to me so some advice would be greatly appreciated. My husband is director of a business that has not traded since January 2010. We are waiting for it to be struck off by companies house so at the moment it is still showing as existing. We cannot afford to liquidate or appoint administrators so are somewhat in limbo.

The company is LTD and the registered office is away from our home address. A CCJ has been issued to one of the creditors and as it has not been paid they have taken it to the next stage which i think is an attempt to enforce the judgement. We had a visit from an enforcement officer at 8am this morning to our home address. We did not open the door or sign any paperwork. My husband did unfortunately admit verbally to being the owner of the company and gave his mobile number to the enforcement officer.

The guy eventually left after giving some verbal threats that this must be sorted out etc etc and posted the letter below through our letterbox. The debt they are now claiming is around £1300 and the value of the items he has listed (from looking over the garden fence) is next to nothing. The trailer is old and only has one wheel, the swing is a play item belonging to our 4 year old son, the wheel barrows are ancient and both have flat tyres, the bbq may have a small value but nothing great and the 'summer house' we think is the log cabin at the end of our garden. This does have a value but is several years old and would take considerable effort to move. The cabin is currently used by my brother in law and nothing that is inside belongs to us.

From what i can make out from other posts these guys cannot gain entry to our house but they can break into outbuildings/sheds etc. We do have a shed and the cabin. There is nothing of value in the shed and as i say anything in the cabin is not ours although i don't suppose this would make any difference to an enforcement officer trying to get in.

I need to contact Andrew Wilson and Co today and ask why they have sent someone to a residential address regarding a business debt but i would prefer to do this by email if possible so at least i have a record of any contact made. I just need confirmation that i am correct that they can't take anything from a personal address and also some advice on what to put.

All help and advice will be gratefully received!

Andrew Wilson & Co Writ Number: ####

HIGH COURT FORM NO 55
    notice of seizure

In The High Court Of Justice
    Queens Bench Division
    SALFORD DISTRICT REGISTRY
    High Court Claim Number: #####
    county court claim Number:#####

Sent from the ####### county court

Defendant: ########### LTD

Address of Premises: ##########

This Notice has been left at this address by ##########
    an enforcement officer from Andrew Wilson & Co The Sherilfs Office High
    Court Enforcement Officers of 26 Missouri Avenue Salford Manchester M50
    2NP who are authorised to enforce writs of execution from the High Court.

TAKE NOTICE THAT:

1. A formal seizure of the goods at this address has been made under a Writ of Execution directed to an Enforcement Officer by the High Court. The
    Enforcement Officer accordingly has conduct of the execution.

2. The goods seized are now in the custody of the Enforcement Officer, as an
    Officer of the Court, and must not be removed, sold or otherwise disposed of.
    This will remain the position until the sLIm due under the execution has been
    paid in full. The only exceptions are goods of the type referred to in
    Paragraph 9 of schedule 7 of Section 99 of the Courts Act 2003. (This
    Section is set out below). Enclosed with this NOTICE is a WALKING
    POSSESSION AGREEMENT in thn form prescribed by law You must read
    this agreement and sign it to acknowledge the seizure and hand it to the
    Enforcement Officer attending your premises or return it to this Office. Failure
    to sign the Walking Possession Agreement may result in the removal of the
    goods seized without further notice pending disposal by public auction.

3. The judgment debt and costs of execution due under the Writ are:-

Judgment Debt: £***
    Judgment Costs: £****
    Costs of Execution: £****
    Assessed Solicitor Costs
    *interest to date: £*****
    HCEO fees: £****
    Total outstanding: £****

*Interest is payable from the appropriate date (which varies according to the
    size of the judgment debt and where it originated). Officer's fees and interest
    will continue to accrue daily until the judgment debt is paid in full.

4. Payment must be made to this office in CASH or by BANK DRAFT. Payment
    by cheque may be accepted if the Enforcement Officer agrees but may be
    subject to such charges (if any) as are made by his bankers for special
    clearance.
    Please note that it is essential that Writ number ###### is written on the
    back of all cheques or bank drafts and quoted in any bank transfers so
    that these payments can be identified. All cheques and drafts must be
    made payable to Andrew Wilson & Co and sent to the contact address
    below.

5. If payment is not made and the execution proceeds, the Enforcement Officers
    or their agents will attend and remove the goods seized for sale by public
    auction or as the Court may direct.

6. If any of the goods seized are not your property, you must tell the owner
    about the seizure and he must write to the High Court Enforcement Officers
    claiming the goods at the contact address below.

7. If any of the goods seized are the subject of a hire purchase or any similar
    agreement, you must send full details in writing to the High Court
    Enforcement Officers at the contact address below.

8. If any of the goods seized are not liable to seizure by virtue of Paragraph 9 of
    schedule 7 of Section 99 of the Courts Act 2003 (set out below) this Office
    must be sent full details in writing within 5 days of the seizure or within such
    greater period as the Court may, on your application, allow.

9. You must inform this office if another Bailiff seizes, levies on or distrains the
    goods to pay another debt and you must inform that Bailiff of this seizure.

10. You must also inform this Office of any Petition in Bankruptcy or application to liquidate a limited company that may be, have been or is subsequently served on you.

11. The goods seized are all those referred to at 2 above but in case there is any doubt, the following items have been levied on today and ARE INCLUDED IN THE SEIZURE:

1 x trailer
    1 x garden swing
    2 x wheel barrow
    1 x bbq
    1 x summer house

Dated: _____________________
    Signed: _____
    Contact details:
    Andrew Wilson & Co
    The Sheriffs Office
    26 Missouri Avenue
    Salford
    Manchester
    M50 2NP
    Tel: 01619251800
    Fax: 01619251801

Paragraph 9 of Schedule 7 of Section 99 of the Courts Act 2003 provides as follows:
    9 (1) This paragraph applies where an enforcement officer or other person who is under a
    duty to execute the writ is executing it.
    (2) The officer may, by virtue of the writ, seize-
    . (a) Any goods of the eX6cutrc\n debtor that are not exempt goods, and
    (b) Any money, bank notes, bills of exchange, promissory notes, bonds,
    specialties or securities for money belonging to the execution debtor.
    (3) "Exempt goods" means-
    (a) such tools, books, vehicles and other items of equipment as are necessary
    to the execution debtor for use personally by him in his employment,
    business or vocation;
    (b) such clothing, bedding, furniture, household equipment and provisions as
    are necessary for satisfying the basic domestic needs of the execution
    debtor and his family.

Today i have added another post in the other forum which reads as follows:

Ok i should have done something about this but i didn't. Have been waiting for the bailiff to turn up again and this morning he did. I am pregnant and my baby is due in 4 weeks so sorting this out has not been on the top of my priority list.

Today he turned up and parked his vehicle so as to block my brother in law's car. It currently only has 3 wheels on it so wasn't going anywhere!!

Anyway, the letter he left was in an envelope that has 'removal now booked' written on the front. Inside is a one page letter stating 'formal notice' at the top. Still no mention of my husband's name just his old company.

Letter states that he has the power to seize goods up to the value of the judgement + fees. It says he has attended today with a vehicle with the intention of removing goods and chattels. 'I will attend again at this address at any time and remove goods even in your absence'

He did complete a walking possession order when last here but it was shoved through the letter box and has not been signed by anyone at our address. The items he levied on are pretty much impossible to move (log cabin - he called it a summer house), kids swing/slide set (concreted in ground), or have next to zero value trailer with only one wheel, a bbq and two ancient wheelbarrows. I'm not sure that the possession order is valid as it wasn't signed by anyone apart from the bailiff. On top of this the items levied are personal and the notice related to a business debt.

I have since discovered that the non-payment of goods the CCJ was issued for were never formally received by my husbands business. They were signed for by an ex-employee who was walking from the car park. Could have been anyone. We also have written confirmation (email) from the company concerned that they would not despatch anything without up front payment. This was never made so surely goods should not have been sent. I'm not sure that this has any relevance now but i do know we are not in a position to clear the debt and only know about the CCJ from the visit to our home by the HCEO.

What i need to know is: Can the guy come back and just take goods? What he does attempt to take (if he can!) won't cover the cost of the debt so can he levy more items?

The final paragraph states 'if you fail to make payment and there are not enough goods to sell to cover your debt, a return will be made to this writ which will enable the claimant to take insolvency proceedings and other proceedings against you and your property' Is this an idle threat or a reality? My husband is not bothered about someone making him bankrupt and the same goes for his company which is in the process of being struck off by companies house. We can't afford to to either ourselves so it would actually be a blessing. A worry would however be our home which we have just saved from repossession although there is still an outright possession order on it so if were to default on our mortgage again we would lose that too.

One last question... i know full well this man will turn up again but does anyone have any idea how long it will be? It is about 3 weeks from his last visit. I expect next time it will be more quickly!

So many questions again!! All advice will be gratefully received and i will of course provide clarification if anything i have written is not clear!

There were responses to my original post and the advice was pretty good but as i have done nothing i am no further forward! There seem to be more 'experts' on bailiff issues on this forum so i am hoping for some help asap!!

Re: Enforcement Officer Home visit for LTD company debts - urgent advice please

Right ok, first off we are not childish on this site and you are perfectly free to post on whatever forum you choose and indeed I think it is very wise to ask lots of questions of lots of different people.

Second, have you at any point informed the bailiffs that this is a limited company debt and all of the goods levied belong to you personally as opposed to your company?

Have you ever challenged the items levied, for example the child's swing? Have you ever challenged the fact that he posted the levy through your door - which is not allowed?

This seems pretty clear cut to me and I know bailiffs are a hateful bunch, but they don't have crystal balls either.

Comment

Hi Amy!

You'd be surprised at comments on some forums :-)

Anyway, in answer to your questions, no nothing has been said to the bailiff or his company - Andrew Wilson & Co. They are high court enforcement officers but i don't know if this is different to a bailiff. I have checked and the chap that has visited is certified.

No challenge has been made to the fact he has levied personal goods, especially our son's swing. No challenge has been made to the fact he just posted the letter through the door.

We haven't informed them formally that this is a residential address and not the business address. The business was originally registered at our home but had not been since we moved to a formal premises. We had not traded from the home since 2008 when the registered address was changed. My husband may have told him when he spoke to him through the window but i don't remember. I'm sure the bailiff would conveniently forget this info if he was only told verbally!

The business address is now empty but as my husband is/was the sole director they are going after him now instead.

So yes you are right although they are a hateful bunch they do need to be informed of the facts too. I was just reluctant to do this in case it opened a can of worms (by acknowledging them they might feel they are getting somewhere). But, i guess by doing nothing they are not going to go away :-(

Comment

Originally posted by littlemonstersmum View Post
        You'd be surprised at comments on some forums :-)
        Trust me, I really wouldn't.

So yes you are right although they are a hateful bunch they do need to be informed of the facts too. I was just reluctant to do this in case it opened a can of worms (by acknowledging them they might feel they are getting somewhere). But, i guess by doing nothing they are not going to go away :-
        I know they are scary, but you really need to do something rather than nothing. The only way to deal with bullies is head-on.

So draft up a letter to them (only ever communicate in writing) and we can check it over for you.

Comment

Ok will do.

Shall i keep it short and sweet? Simply state the facts that it is a residential home and NOT a business premises, that they can't levy on personal items ESPECIALLY a child's toy.

There does seem to be some debate as to whether or not they are allowed to post the possession order through the door. Someone on the other forum said they are!! So i am now confused on this one.

I will try and put something together before i go to bed.

Thanks for your help so far.

Comment

There does seem to be some debate as to whether or not they are allowed to post the possession order through the door. Someone on the other forum said they are!! So i am now confused on this one.
            They are wrong, but if you want to check, google Davidson v Roach (1991) or Evans v South Ribble Borough Council (1991) for more information.

Comment

Now you see why i am seeking advice from more than one place! It does make things a bit more confusing though! Just want to get the right advice!!

Ok i'll look them up! Does it make a difference this guy is a High Court Enforcement Officer as opposed to a 'regular' bailiff?

Am going to have to do a letter in the morning as my brain is overloaded now!

Comment

Now you see why i am seeking advice from more than one place! It does make things a bit more confusing though! Just want to get the right advice!!
                Facts are facts and they cannot be argued with.

Does it make a difference this guy is a High Court Enforcement Officer as opposed to a 'regular' bailiff?
                No not really, it is just that your debt is over £600 and the creditor has chosen to have it enforced via the High Court. The only other difference is that HCEOs are paid on performance, they do not have a salary - so they tend to play hard.

Comment

This is what i propose to send to the HCEO company today by recorded delivery:

I am writing with reference to visits made by your enforcement officer Mr xxxxx

The defendant in question is a Limited Company and as such is not related in any way to the address visited. I have no knowledge of the judgment that has been made against the company and am not aware of the debt you are attempting to collect upon.

None of the items that have been levied upon belong to the limited company in question and as such cannot be subject to a walking possession order. In particular one item listed – garden swing – is an item that belongs to my son and is for his exclusive use. All items within the property belong to private individuals and there are no assets of the limited company there.

I am pregnant and due to give birth any time in the next 4 weeks. The undue stress these visits are putting on me and my family is not healthy and as a vulnerable person identified within the national standards for enforcement agents I request that any further action is ceased.

I am not sure if this is strong enough to say f*** off to them! I have never been an officer of the company so can put my name to the letter without risk of them trying to come back at me.

I am happy to get a statutory declaration but have no idea of where to go to do this. I assume it could be done at any solicitor but the last time we used one was several years ago!! I also won't be able to do this until next week and would really like to get the letter in the post today.

Comment

Try this, I've made some edits and it is now much stronger and to the point.

I have received (say how many) visits from your enforcement officer Mr xxxxx

This debt relates to a limited company and as such is not related in any way to the private address visited. I have no knowledge of the judgment that has been made against the company and am not aware of the debt you are attempting to collect. (if the company does not exist any more, say so here).

Furthermore, Mr xxxxxxxxx has posted a levy through the above private address listing various items, none of which are owned by the limited company. One such item is a garden swing, which had the levy been legal and lawful in the first instance would be exempt from levy as it clearly belongs to a child.

To clarify, all items within the property belong to private individuals and there are no assets of the limited company at this address.

Notwithstanding the above, I am heavily pregnant and the stress these visits and threats are putting on me and my family is not healthy and as a vulnerable person identified within the National Standards for Enforcement Agents, of which I am positive you are aware, together with the above mentioned points, I require any and all action is ceased immediately.

Comment

Thanks Amy.

I totally agree with your amendments but i needed to get letter in the post so i sent the one i wrote.

If this has no effect then i will send a second one in the more strong terms you have written.

The company does still exist but hasn't traded since January and is due to be struck off by companies house. If we could afford it we would have put it into liquidation but this costs several £1000s that we just don't have. We really tried to keep the company going but got to a stage where it was just not possible which is why we accepted defeat in the end.

At least i have now put in writing that there is nothing at our home relating to the ltd company. I did put my name to the letter (easy enough to find anyway as we are on the electoral roll etc) but used a typed signature just in case they tried any tricks such as adding my signature to any of their documents. I would hope this doesn't happen but i've read about it on other forum posts with regards to credit card debts. Probably just being overly paranoid but right now it's hard not to be!

I do feel more confident now to deal with them 'face on' and will continue to fight our corner as and when needed.

Thanks for your help and advice

Comment

Good girl, let us know how you get on xx

Comment

UPDATE!

Well it seems the enforcement company seem to be trying a different tack! Today my husband had a phone call at his office and on his mobile from Andrew Wilson and Co.

The previous business was an online retail store and the website has been continued with new owners, a new director and all new bank accounts. The ltd company name has been changed but the original website address and 0844 telephone number is still the same. There is nothing in the new company to link my husband to and he now works for a totally different company and is nothing to do with the new one. The company my husband now works for is however owned by the director that took over the website and it is run from the same office.... So this does complicate things although i don't think in a big way as they really are separate entities.

He ignored the call on his mobile but did speak to the person who called the office landline. He told them he didn't have any contact details for the director and they could just leave a message. He should have told them it was nothing to do with him but as he has a knowledge of someone chasing him he didn't think quickly enough on his feet. The voicemail he received is asking him to call them back with a proposal of how he plans to repay the debt!! He didn't give anything away but came home telling me he's going to call them back tomorrow.....

Just to clarify i assume he should do nothing and wait to see if anything turns up in the post? We really don't want any bailiffs turning up at the new office as there are several companies in there and no doubt they will hassle everyone they can.

Comment

Bailiffs or HCEOs (one and the same) will try any address where they think they may get a result.

The paperwork that he posted through your door formed a walking possession agreement, which as it was not signed by the debtor is not valid. The HCEO should have stayed with the goods if his intention was to seize them. He has therefore abandoned his levy.

I am assuming that you are not a director of the debtor (company). If not then you can claim that all of the goods listed in any event are yours, as you have stated with your son's swing. They could levy on your husband's goods (not yours) if he was/is a director of the company named as defendant on the CCJ. This can be done at his home address or anywhere he has assets. This is because as a diretcor he has a personal liability for debts of the company, however, this is limited to the share capital that he is listed as owning. For example, many directors won a nominal £1 share, meaning that their liability is just £1 should things go wrong.

When I had my company (before I sold it), this is all that my share capital was.

They cannot levy at a different company, even if it shares the same address, however, your husband may have to prove that everything at the address is owned by company z and not by company x, if you know what I mean.

If there are no assets with the company and no returns are filed to companies house then they will eventually strike the company off of the register, this is a bit like a compulsory winding up. However, if this happens then your husband may have his ability to act as a director affected. Best advice, speak to an accountant, or at the very least an experienced book keeper who may be able to advise him a little more with regards to getting rid of the company.

Comment

Originally posted by exbailiff View Post
                              However, if this happens then your husband may have his ability to act as a director affected.
                              I don't think that's true. This will only happen if he is successfully prosecuted for doing something wrong, such as fraud to the company - unlikely with a one man company. If he has acted in the company's interest, then he will be just fine...
                              I am not a solicitor. Please seek your own legal advice before relying on my comments in this forum!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X