• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales wont listen ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales wont listen ?

My partner is having issues with Rossendales at the moment with regards to coucil tax payments from here previous address an attachment of monthly earnings has been sent with a covering letter asking to pay £100 a month back which i thought was good offer considering £160 was left leaving her with £60 spare.
    We agree this needs to paid but how can you pay when you havent got it ?

We have now had a letter back stating "we can confirm that your case has been set up into a agreement at the rate £200 every 31 days"
    Council tax is a priority debt and as such must take prefrence over any non priorty spending such as store cards credit cards loan companies and all other non priorty debts .

Please unsure that payments are maintained at the correct rate to prevent us from from proceeding with further action.

For one she has not agreed an arrangement at £200 and what would be the the further action ? what would be the next best option to take with these cowboys ?

many thanks..
    Last edited by Andy J; 29th June 2010, 14:14:PM.

Re: Rossendales wont listen ?

How much in total CT does she owe?

You need to make sure you reject the £200 per month repayments formerly (in writing). This is the kind of thing Rossendales do as standard practice; they will arrange repayments that a debtor is unable to keep to, therefore, ensuring the 'further action' to which they have alluded. This means more charges and more threats.

Have you allowed the bailiff into the property?

Have a read of this guide if you haven't already and come back and ask if you have further questions Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles Consumer Forum

Comment

Its £3000 in total over separate amounts if this helps,no baliff has been to the propety we had letter in the post from them,I am assuming the council has got are new address details from the electrol role?
      If push came to shove then i would suppport her on paying back the amount but a more mangable offer
      Is there templates for resonpse letters on the forum for this sort of matter ?

Comment

So this is for more than one council tax year? Is the £3000 purely CT or this inclusive of Rossendales charges?

I think you should pay the council direct and just ignore the bailiff - you haven't let them in so there is nothing they can do.

We don't have any templates as such, but if you search this forum you will find lots of information you can use and if you post up a draft, we'll take a look for you.

Comment

Sorry, yes its 3 years worth of CT plus there charges as well.
          When you say pay the council direct do i go to them and say i lived at this address i did not pay the CT i want to pay it now or will they just refer me back to rossendales as they now have the debt ?

Comment

Originally posted by Andy J View Post
            When you say pay the council direct do i go to them and say i lived at this address i did not pay the CT i want to pay it now or will they just refer me back to rossendales as they now have the debt ?
            Councils tend to trot out the line that there is nothing they can do to help once a debt has been passed to the bailiffs for collection - this is untrue and they cannot refuse your payments.

I would write to them and make an offer to pay what you owe and at least this will open up the lines of communciation with them and give you a record to refer to should the need arise and of course, discount the bailiff fees unless any of them are genuine, which I very much doubt.

Send a copy of this letter to the bailiff also.

Comment

Originally posted by Amy View Post
              Councils tend to trot out the line that there is nothing they can do to help once a debt has been passed to the bailiffs for collection - this is untrue and they cannot refuse your payments.
              So if we go in and speak to the council direct and explain the situation and tell them we wish to deal with the them direct as we get no sense from Rossendales and would rather pay them.

when you say cannot refuse payments how would that work ?

sorry to drag this on

Comment

No, I think this would be a waste of your time as per what I wrote in post #6.

What you have to remember here is that Rossendales have absolutely no powers, none. This is because you haven't let them in (and even you had had let them in, you no longer live at that property). As long as you continue to deny them access and bear in mind that they can enter through an open door or window, then they will remain with no powers to enforce.

If you really want to pay Rossendales fees then do so, but you don't have to - you can pay the council.

Comment

It's standard practice for this arrogant and obstructive response when dealing with recovery departments at the council regarding direct payment. I have had the same treatment from North East Lincs council.

I have been on the receiving end of blatant lies from my council, on this subject. One method of paying the council direct (whether or not they agree) is to use internet banking, where all you need is the council's account number and sort code and your council tax reference number. I would be surprised if they refuse or send back the payment.

EDIT
                  You should be able to find the council's account number and sort code on the back of your council tax bill.
                  Last edited by outlawlgo; 29th June 2010, 12:32:PM.

Comment

We are going to ring the council and see if they help and adivse them we will rather be paying them rather than rossendales.

just spoke to the council and all they tell us its now with rossendales its not there problem.

If thats the case i will send a letter back to rossendales reqesting for a lower payment.
                    Last edited by Andy J; 29th June 2010, 12:39:PM.

Comment

We are going to ring the council and see if they help and adivse them we will rather be paying them rather than rossendales.

just spoke to the council and all they tell us now with rossendales its not there problem
                      I hate to say I told you so....

Comment

I hate to say I told you so....
                        You told me so :cry:

would letter back to rossendales now be my only option ?

Comment

Andy, I don't mean to labour the point here, but how many times is it possible to write the same thing?

Post #4

I think you should pay the council direct....
                          We don't have any templates as such, but if you search this forum you will find lots of information you can use and if you post up a draft, we'll take a look for you.
                          Post #6

I would write to them...
                          Send a copy of this letter to the bailiff also.
                          Lastly

would letter back to rossendales now be my only option ?
                          No, see above.

Comment

Ok i get your point

Comment

Thank the Lord :cheer2:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                              Working...
                              X