• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Jacobs Bailiffs & Council Tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacobs Bailiffs & Council Tax

I admit I owe unpaid council tax and had a liability order placed on me by the court in July. Early November I got home to find a letter from Jacobs Bailiffs stating they were chasing the debt and to get in touch. I spoke to the lady who left the letter and she said she had to meet with me if I wanted tomake an arrangement but I had to pay £100. OK I met with her, sat in her car outside my house as I told her I didn't have a key to get in my daughter had it, she said that she could only accept an arrangement of £160 per month as both my husband and I were working (my husband is on short time with a 10% pay cut and all shift allowance stopped). I thought I had no choice at the time but to accept this and she put my husbands car on the form as a possession as this was on the drive at the time.
    I couldn't make my first payment on time of the £160 and got home last monday to find a walking possession letter stating i had to contact the bailiff in 24 hours to make a full payment otherwise they would be back to remove my goods.
    I spoke to the bailiff and said i would try to get the funds together but would need a couple of days, the weather then turned nasty and I couldn't get to work. The abiliff phoned me on Friday to say he would be round later to remove goods, I spoke to a friend who kindly agreedto let me use his credit card. I gave this information to the bailiff who then tried to put the payment through as two figures, he hadn't told me this, and my friend got a call from his credit company asking about the payment and he said no thats not what should be on so they cancelled his card and put the matter down to fraud. I spoke to the biliff who said I still had to get the payment to him within 1 hour otherwise he would be attending the property to remove goods. I said that it was his fault the payment could not be taken and that I had no other way of paying. He said he would hang around but extra charges would be put on the account, I asked him for more time and he said no. I rang the council to let them know of the situation and they said they would ask him to hold off for another week. Needless to say the bailiff wasn't happy.
    Can I now contact Jacobs or the council to try to make a reasonable arrangement as I don't know where I stand legally.
    Sorry this is so long.

Re: Jacobs Bailiffs & Council Tax

Have a read here Bailiff Guide - Legal Beagles and whatever you do, do not let that bailiff in your house.

He cannot remove any of your goods and he knows it. He just expects that you do not know this and allow him in.

If you have any further questions, then just post back here.

Comment

Can you tell me did I have to meet the first lady or could an arrangement have been made by phone

Comment

You don't have to have any dealings with the bailiff at all because if you do not let them in there is absolutely nothing they can do except pass the debt back to the council.

Comment

I was told I had no choice but to meet her, so really she lied to me

Comment

Yes, she did. It's a prerequisite.

Comment

Is there anyone I can complain to about her or is this standard practice?

Comment

This is standard practice, but it does make it lawful practice. You should consider a Form 4 complaint to the court where the bailiff was granted her certificate, provided that she has one. Details of how to do this are in the bailiff guide, the link for which is in post #2.

Comment

On the letter I received when they called with the walking possession that they would bring a locksmith to get into the property can they do this?

Comment

No, they cannot.

Comment

i have a problem with Rossendales for my concil tax i made a agreement but came back at a daft price of 500.00 a mouth which i could not afford, so noe have a letter say going to re-attend my address at his convenience and may remove goods even in my absence, this has got me so ill...

Comment

Seanova,

You need to have a read of the bailiff guide - link in post #2 above.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X