• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

jacobs bailiffs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jacobs bailiffs

Hi guys!

I am wondering if any of you can help me please? This is quite a long story so i apologise but i have to tell you the lot in order for you all to understand the situation!
    Me and my husband had fallen behind with our council tax and it was passed to jacobs we were on benefits at the time and they accepted £5 per week ( debt was £400 inclusive of all charges), i never missed a payment i then got a letter telling me to stop paying as they needed to do a review. A week later i started work only 16 hours a week and my husband is still on incapcity benefit so im not that much better off! I have offered them £10 a week as the debt is only £324 however they wouldnt accept it and threatened to come and take my stuff! A family member has offered to help us out so i have offered them £20 a week which they have accepted, however i received a letter this morning confirming the offer but they will still be sending a bailiff out to levy and secure the debt and this will incur more costs!!! I feel like this debt will never be paid because they just keep adding cost after cost on but i can never get a full explanation to these costs!! Can anyone help please? I am certainly not allowing them into my house!!! the only worry is my husband let them into the house last year to "discuss a payment plan" and when i got in from the shop he was here! I am not sure if this was a walk in possession and i cant remember if i signed anything!
    Last edited by ricknkez; 4th December 2009, 14:01:PM.

Re: jacobs bailiffs

Originally posted by ricknkez View Post
    i received a letter this morning confirming the offer but they will still be sending a bailiff out to levy and secure the debt and this will incur more costs!!!

I feel like this debt will never be paid because they just keep adding cost after cost on but i can never get a full explanation to these costs!! Can anyone help please? I am certainly not allowing them into my house!!!
    Yes, you should have a read of this guide Bailiff Issues - Legal Beagles and send the Subject Access Request contain in the link as soon as possible.

How much was the original debt and how much have you paid in charges?

What a bailiff is permitted to charge for in the recovery of council tax debt is very strict and I'd hazard a guess that this is the reason you cannot get a straight answer out of them as to the charges they have added.

Comment

Hi thankyou for replying i think the original debt was for £150 plus £150 court fees! I think the bailiffs added on a fortune as the debt went up to £500 now ive been paying £5 a week for ages and the debt is still £324!! I have another concern my husband did let the bailiff into my house last year and he was there when i got in from shops does this mean he has a walk in possession order? Can i have any help with this because my husband has mental health problems and if they do come to my house this will cause my husband sever distress!!

Comment

Did your husband sign anything? Did your husband let the bailiff in or did he trick his way in?

How many years council tax is the bailiff collecting for?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X