• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Debt returned to creditor, how best to now going about paying it off?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debt returned to creditor, how best to now going about paying it off?

For almost a year my partner had been chased for an energy company debt by an enforcement group (a house move and not updating the address resulted in not being aware of the severity of the situation, causing a CCJ and being hounded for a ballooning debt at our new address).

The stress of this situation (repeated unnerving bailiff visits etc) and ongoing heath issues combined with not being able to pay the near £1000 that had been eventually added to the initial £400-£700 debt led to us making a complaint. Thankfully this has now resulted in the debt being sent make to the creditor. The enforcement company informed my partner of this on 5th August (that the file had been closed and to contact the energy company to further discuss the matter).

Upon contacting the energy company they informed him that the final balance 'prior to litigation' is £500, and outstanding balance is £680. The company say that the confirmnation from enforcement has not yet come through though and until that's updated they say we can't make payment to them.

1) Does it typically take long for this confirmation to come through as we'd like to get this debt sorted?

2) Does it make sense to pay this outright now if possible, or is there typically any chance of a waiving of these aditional fees to make it more manageable?

3) I take it there is no chance of getting the CCJ removed at this stage (unfortunate if that's the case, but I can't see any angle for doing so), but my understanding is that once paid my partner can at least get it listed as 'settled'. Is this the case?

Any advice would be much appreciated..
    Last edited by CassQuestion; 29th August 2024, 07:34:AM.
    Tags: None

Hi Cass

Welcome to LB

1) Does it typically take long for this confirmation to come through as we'd like to get this debt sorted?

Contact the Enforcement agents if you feel they are taking too long. Get a date from them.

2) Does it make sense to pay this outright now if possible, or is there typically any chance of a waiving of these aditional fees to make it more manageable?

If it's their (energy company) fault, you shouldn't be paying fees.The only way to 'unravel' everything is information. Send the energy company a SAR, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the account. Go through the information to see if the energy company has made any faults. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You could consider filling in an income and expenditure form, take into account of cost of living.

A couple of templates here, send the right one, see what they say -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...ay-your-debts/

3) I take it there is no chance of getting the CCJ removed at this stage (unfortunate if that's the case, but I can't see any angle for doing so), but my understanding is that once paid my partner can at least get it listed as 'settled'. Is this the case?

You would need good reasons to get the CCJ set a side, i.e. you didn't receive the Court documents etc.
    Yes it would be marked 'settled'.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Hi Cass

Welcome to LB

Contact the Enforcement agents if you feel they are taking too long. Get a date from them.

If it's their (energy company) fault, you shouldn't be paying fees.The only way to 'unravel' everything is information. Send the energy company a SAR, they have 30 days to provide all the information on the account. Go through the information to see if the energy company has made any faults. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

You could consider filling in an income and expenditure form, take into account of cost of living.

A couple of templates here, send the right one, see what they say -

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...ay-your-debts/

You would need good reasons to get the CCJ set a side, i.e. you didn't receive the Court documents etc.
      Yes it would be marked 'settled'.
      Thanks very much for your thoughts on this. We are currently chasing it up with the enforcement agents, as they are dragging their feet on this. I'll be sure to chime in with an update down the line.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X