• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bailiffs - company debt - attendance at Directors home listed as Registered Office

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bailiffs - company debt - attendance at Directors home listed as Registered Office

Been a business owner & company director for many years. I've also had to deal with bailifs at work and for personal debt. So know the basics.

Over a year ago, my company suffered from massive fraud by a 3rd party which effectively shut the business down overnight - all staff let go, vacated offices etc. immediately.
    I'm in the process of trying to re-start (including raising investment) but there has been a knock on effect from what happened

Council issued notices for unpaid business rates which went to court, and then an enforcement notice has been issued.
    I believe the debt is incorrect, but the council aren't very quick to respond.
    Enforcement agents (Jacobs) have attended the premises, but we have no office space there (it was a serviced office)

A different representative from Jacobs has attended my rented home, as this is the Registered Office of the company.
    I have informed him & Jacobs in writing that:

- the business has no assets (have explained the events - with evidence of High Court Judgement showing what happened)
    - i am not personally liable for the debts of the business
    - this is my personal address (clearly visible) where i live with 2x children under 10
    - confirmed there are no business assets at the property

The agent and Jacobs are stating that as the Registered Office they are able to seize assets unless I show title to them.
    Aside from the fact of not letting them in, this ignores the separation of personal vs company debt.
    No company would be purchasing home furniture and who has evidence to show ownership of the dining room table & chairs, sofas, beds etc.?

I appreciate people don't think highly of Jacobs on here. But i still want to just avoid the stress of whether they turn up - especially if my children were here, or worse, if i'm not and they attempt something stupid. I do have video cameras around the interior / exterior of the house (which i have made them aware of) but that doesn't help me if they actually did attempt something.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by TribalThundr; 31st January 2024, 08:39:AM. Reason: Added Tags
    Tags: None

Why didn't/don't you put the company in liquidation?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Is it true that county court balifs can not enforce civil debt under consumer law of 74

Comment

County Court bailiffs can enforce county court judgements and orders.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X