• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Marston enforcement letter 10 year old debt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marston enforcement letter 10 year old debt

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some advice please. I recently moved to a new address and have received a notice of enforcement letter from Marston for unpaid council tax from 2013. I rang Marstons who said I should speak to the council, I rang the council they said the debt was outstanding from 2013-2014 which I didn't even know about until now. As the debt is 10 years old can it still be enforced? I haven't received any letters about this before I asked the council person if this debt is not now statued and barred and he said no and offered me a payment plan which I said no to(suspicioushe doesn't really know) . I am now planning to ring Marstons but can I now legally refuse to pay this due to the time lapsed? I'm not keen on bailiffs showing up at my new house! Thank you for any advice.
    Tags: None

Something for you to read that will give you some hope whilst awaiting others more knowledgeable to come along:
    This from https://nationaldebtline.org/fact-sh...lations%201992. Council tax

A council should not go to the magistrates’ court and ask for a liability order for council tax more than six years after the council tax became due. This is under Regulation 34(3) Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992.

The cause of action (when the limitation period starts running) for council tax, is when the council first sent a bill to you. Unreasonable delays in sending bills could be grounds for making a complaint to the council and, if unresolved, the Local Government Ombudsman. Contact us for advice.

For more information about dealing with council tax arrears, see our Council tax arrears fact sheet.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X