• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Enforcement Visit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enforcement Visit

Hi Everyone
    I could really do with some advice on what is happening to me and my Wife. We have a Notice of Enforcement from Marston and they say they are going to come and collect goods if we do not get things sorted by 24-05-22. The debt is for £320. It is a genuine reason for this, but they obviously aren't interested. The debt is in my Wife's name but I am disabled and I live in the same home. I rang them this morning and told them they cannot come here because I am disabled and classed as vulnerable, but they were not interested and said that as the debt is in my Wife's name, they can come here. I offered £10 a month, but they completely rejected it. I am terribly worried about this. They said they will come and they will take goods. I know I do not have to allow them in, but I really do not want the excess stress of all of this. I do not have the money to clear the debt outright, and £10 is what I can afford. I sent them proof of my disability, but they were not interested as I am not named as the debtor. I guess what I need to know is if they can actually come here even tough I have proven disability to them? I thought they could not come to a vulnerable household, but they insist otherwise if the actual person owing the money is not disabled they say they can come. Please help. This is extremely worrying.
    Tags: None

Hi,

The bailiff/Marston would appear to be right. Firstly, they do not need to talk to you at all since you are not the debtor and I really not sure why you decided to send them evidence of your disability. Unless your wife is incapable of dealing with this herself or is also classed as a vulnerable debtor then your wife needs to deal with the matter as it won't just go away.

Bailiff obligations only apply to vulnerable debtors but the exception is where the debtor is not at the premises at the time of attendance and there is someone under the age of 16 or there is someone who is classed as vulnerable in which case the bailiff should withdraw.

You can read the guidance from the government here (page 8 has a section on vulnerable debtors): Taking Control of Goods: National Standards (publishing.service.gov.uk)

This debt doesn't normally come out of the blue and there are a number of letters from the creditor or court letters before it gets to this stage if the matter relates to a civil claim. It sounds like your wife may have buried her head and there may be reasonable grounds to suspend the enforcement and the debt but that depends on what the debt relates to as you've not given us any information about it.

You are not obliged to let the bailiff in the house but you will need to keep the doors locked as they can enter peacefully. Also if you own a car then they will clamp that first and foremost. Although they are not entitled to clamp a vehicle on finance they will do anyway and then it will be up to your wife to bring a legal claim to get it released if the bailiff refuses which will result in more stress.

Out of curiosity, what is the date on the letter you received?
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X