• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bristow and Sutor nightmare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristow and Sutor nightmare

Hello all, new here so please go easy.

Basically we have been pursued by Bristow and Sutor for some time due to outstanding Council tax. Some was from as late as 2014 that my now partner accrued before I lived with him and the rest is whilst we've lived together. My partner has mental health issues and has had them since a teen, they are all documented and diagnosed too this is not something new it is all on his medical records.

We told the council this previously and we were in a bad finincial spot at the time and so it went to the ack of our minds and they sold it off to Bristow and Sutor.

We have set up a payment plan twice with them though it was way too high and we told them this, they just told us thats all they could do. It proved too much as we stated and it ended up once again going unpaid. It was left for months and months and went out of our minds, then out of the blue they told us we have to pay in installments again, they said they would call by a certain date last month but didnt and tinstead they had emailed me.

Im not one to religiously check emails as Im not a techy person so it went unnoticed and then we got a letter saying that they had seized goods.

No letter to say they were coming no letter to say we need to re-set up a payment plan, but a letter saying they were seizing all goods. We don't really have anything other than a 12yr old car and a 3yr old PC..

I spoke to the bailiff in charge of our case 2 weeks ago and he said that a payment plan would be too much for us and to pay what we can when we can (which would have been tomorrow when I get universal credit come in.

As well as my partners MH issues he recently nearly passed away due to covid and now he is back home I have had to take a lot of time off work so they ended up letting me go and I signed up as his carer so theres no real employment coming in at present.

We also have 3 children living with us aged 3,8 and 10yrs old.

Wwe have access to around £1500 but it is time sensitive, (the debt is £2500) I called today and asked what they would take as a final payment and said we could do £1500 today to settle it but they said no, they said no to any form of payment plan too and offered us to pay it all in full immediately or have our goods taken away.

I reallise that everyones case is different and we have been through 5yrs of very bad luck including deaths which caused a breakdown in my partner. It isn't that we don't want to get it sorted it just ran away from us.

Please help.
    Last edited by Mrnobody; 10th November 2021, 12:40:PM. Reason: council tax, Bristow & Sutor, Debt, Council, Mental health
    Tags: None

Hi MRNOBODY

Try not to worry.

Fill in the following Vulnerable Persons template (partner has mental health issues / children), send / email it to the Council and Bristow and Sutor. Don't speak to them over the phone, everything in writing.

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/sam...vulnerable-ew/

You can also complain about bailiffs - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/de...bout-bailiffs/

Agree a payment plan that you can keep to, if that's £10 a week so be it. Also lodge a complaint against the bailiffs.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
    Working...
    X