• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Bristow and Sutor - threats despite keeping up with payments

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bristow and Sutor - threats despite keeping up with payments

Hello.

We got into some debt with our local council and despite my best attempts to repay, we had a letter from a company called Bristow and Sutor. We arranged for a payment to be made and agreed on a date and we have been paying this off without delay, every month, on time without issue .
    I received a letter today saying that enforcement agents would commence action starting 24th August . I immediately got in touch via their WhatsApp and we chat since I can't afford to call their advertised phone number and was told that the agreement was temporary, that they would be increasing our payments, that I ignored a letter from them sent via email in May and that there was nothing they could do.*
    The threatening nature of each conversation was quite frankly terrifying. I've since got in touch with my insolvency agency who arranged this payment plan on my behalf and have said they will sort it. However, I'm not convinced this is the last I'll hear from B&S. What I'm asking is can they enforce higher payments despite me having in writing what I agreed? Has anyone else had this issue? I'm scared, we can't afford to pay higher than what we are already and I'm scared they'll come to our house. My insolvency agency has said not to worry but that's not an option, I am worried.
    Tags: None

I should probably add that I never received such email regarding increasing payments and the only email correspondence I've ever received was an automated response to an email I had sent.

Comment

Have the Council taken you to Court? If so when and what was the result and how much was it for?

Comment

Originally posted by MRSBVR View Post
        Hello.

We got into some debt with our local council and despite my best attempts to repay, we had a letter from a company called Bristow and Sutor. We arranged for a payment to be made and agreed on a date and we have been paying this off without delay, every month, on time without issue .
        I received a letter today saying that enforcement agents would commence action starting 24th August . I immediately got in touch via their WhatsApp and we chat since I can't afford to call their advertised phone number and was told that the agreement was temporary, that they would be increasing our payments, that I ignored a letter from them sent via email in May and that there was nothing they could do.*
        The threatening nature of each conversation was quite frankly terrifying. I've since got in touch with my insolvency agency who arranged this payment plan on my behalf and have said they will sort it. However, I'm not convinced this is the last I'll hear from B&S. What I'm asking is can they enforce higher payments despite me having in writing what I agreed? Has anyone else had this issue? I'm scared, we can't afford to pay higher than what we are already and I'm scared they'll come to our house. My insolvency agency has said not to worry but that's not an option, I am worried.
        Is it for council tax arrears ? (if so then they already have a court order).

Comment

Hi, we haven't physically been to Court. We received an enforcement order back in February and agreed to pay £80.00 per month until the debt was cleared. We have maintained this and paid it on time each month with no issues.

We've told them we can't afford to increase the payments and I want to know if an increase can be enforced despite keeping up the agreed payments.

Thank you for your response.

Comment

What is the balance for ?

Comment

Is this for council tax? I was chased by Bristow and Sutor too for council tax. I went to the citizens advice bureau last year and they said to ignore bristow and sutor until the debt went back to the council. But they still continue to send me letter and have come to my front door yesterday - only my babysitter was home and she didn't let them in thankfully. I've been looking online, as wasn't sure about the advice given by CAB and found these debt advisors who talk about B&S and how if you pay an IVA monthly debt collectors won't bother you, so I was considering it. The insolvency thing you have is the same as this IVA? It sound slike it, but you are still being threatened by them? I didn't think they were allowed to contact you if you have the payment plan though??
              LegalBeagles is a free forum offering support, discussion & help for consumers from their peers and covers mainly legal and financial issues.
              Last edited by Celestine; 27th October 2020, 15:39:PM. Reason: no 3rd party commercial links

Comment

Originally posted by MissHemm View Post
                Is this for council tax? I was chased by Bristow and Sutor too for council tax. I went to the citizens advice bureau last year and they said to ignore bristow and sutor until the debt went back to the council. But they still continue to send me letter and have come to my front door yesterday - only my babysitter was home and she didn't let them in thankfully. I've been looking online, as wasn't sure about the advice given by CAB and found these debt advisors who talk about B&S and how if you pay an IVA monthly debt collectors won't bother you, so I was considering it. The insolvency thing you have is the same as this IVA? It sound slike it, but you are still being threatened by them? I didn't think they were allowed to contact you if you have the payment plan though??
                You really need to start a thread of your own for better help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                Working...
                X