• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Has this bailiff breached my human rights (or has my council)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has this bailiff breached my human rights (or has my council)

removed
    Last edited by Nolansright; 25th January 2020, 21:54:PM.
    Tags: None

How long ago did this happen? Who were the Bailiffs?

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
      How long ago did this happen? Who were the Bailiffs?
      removed
      Last edited by Nolansright; 25th January 2020, 21:54:PM.

Comment

I would suggest in the first instance you contact your local Councillor(s) via www.writetothem.com to see if they can help. Given the passage of time neither Council or Bailiffs may have paperwork spanning the period.

Comment

Originally posted by ploddertom View Post
          I would suggest in the first instance you contact your local Councillor(s) via www.writetothem.com to see if they can help. Given the passage of time neither Council or Bailiffs may have paperwork spanning the period.
          thanks .i have all the paperwork so no problem ,was just lookign to see if anyone had ever seen a consent form asked to be signed before they return your goods to you .i think its abuse to hold onto goods they know arent theirs

Comment

Appearance of authority in legal proceedings

76. Where a contractor is authorised by virtue of this Order to exercise the function of applying to the magistrates' court for a liability order or taking steps to levy any amount by distress and sale of the goods of any person, section 223 of the Local Government Act 1972 (appearance of local authorities in legal proceedings)(1) shall have effect in relation to—

(a)the hearing of an application for a liability order, and

(b)an appeal brought by any person in connection with the distress,

as if the contractor were an officer of the authority.

Comment

Article 76 allows that the council's agents, if an appeal is made over distress, can act in court in the same way as if the council themselves were appearing - it effectively confers the council's powers of audience in the magistrate's court on to them. It's not particularly relevant in your case as it's aimed at cases where the council contract out functions, not where they use an enforcement agent under regulation 14 of the Non-Domestic Collection and Enforcement Regulations.

The enforcement agents would have to be granted the delegated powers to act on behalf of the council under the Order before it would affect them, which wouldn't be required because, as the defendants, they would have the right to appear in any appeal anyway.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
              Working...
              X