• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rossendales council tax

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rossendales council tax

Hi

Sorry for the long post! I’m looking for a bit of advice.

We have some council tax arrears that got passed to Rossendales. I had a payment arrangement of £150 a month, which we could barely afford but was the minimum they would accept. We ended up missing a payment and a bailiff came round while we weren’t in in May. I called him back and he agreed that we could pay off the arrears and the rest of the balance by the end of July I had told Mr Bailiff that I was pregnant and going on maternity leave soon, but should be able to get it cleared.

By the time the end of July came, I was 37 weeks pregnant and had started maternity leave. My employer didn’t inform me until 2 weeks before I finished work that I didn’t qualify for SMP. I have applied for Maternity Allowance, but this still hasn’t come through. I got paid around 1/3rd of my usual wages in July. My husband works, but we had to use his wages to pay the rent.

I have explained all this to Mr Bailiff but he said he’s continuing enforcement action and coming to clamp my car, which has been confirmed as mine by neighbours. He knows I’m due to give birth any day now but doesn’t seem to care. I have recently learned that being in the late stages of pregnancy could class our household as vulnerable and could get the council to take the debt back. We have got it down from around £1200 to £484 (according to Mr Bailiff). But my online council account says we owe £354.99

I have written to Rossendales, and sent them proof of my pregnancy and due date, and I asked them for a breakdown of what’s been paid and what fees they charged me.

They replied saying to contact Mr Bailiff to pay in full. No arrangement can be made. They ignored my request for a breakdown of fees and the fact I’m heavily pregnant and asked for the account to be returned to the council.

I have also contacted my council and asked them to take the account back, and sent proof of my pregnancy, but haven’t heard back from them yet.

Im not doubting that we owe the money, and I’m not trying to get out of paying, but I need more time until my benefits are sorted. I have literally no income at the moment, and my husbands wages will barely cover the bills. I’ve asked the council if the amount outstanding can be added onto this years direct debit payments, but I haven’t heard anything back yet.

I need my my car to get to growth scan appointments and do shopping as we also have a 1 year old. I know I should hide my car away from the house, but I’m struggling to carry my 1 year old too far.

Im going to contact citizens advice tomorrow, but thought I’d post here too for some advice as to what I can do to get them to stop coming to my door. I’m terrified, anxious and can’t sleep. I’m ashamed that things have gotten this bad and want to burst into tears all the time.

Again, sorry for the massive post, but I needed to get this off my chest!
    Tags: None

From the recovery side - Vulnerability is not defined in law, the government guidance on the matter states that it is a decision for the enforcement agents & local authority to make a determination on vulnerability and how it affects recovery. There is no definition of vulnerable (as it's very subjective) and, even if they do find vulnerability, there is no requirement to return the account to the council.

At this stage it is up to the enforcement agents (and their instructing council) as to whether or not they will cease action, accept a payment arrangement etc.

I've dealt with many enforcement agent companies over the years (both for councils and dealing with disputes against councils) and Rossendales are normally reasonable over things like this (there are far worse enforcement agents out there, company wise). Problem is that they often tend to leave decisions to the individual agents rather than the 'office' and some of them can be awkward.

What I would suggest is that, if you can't get any response from either party, is to start the formal complaint process with both .

In respect of the balance - the council's systems will not show Rossendales costs. Only Rossendale's system will show the full balance inclusive of any costs etc.

Comment

Get in touch with your local Councillor(s) ASAP - best initial contact is by phone and ask they intervene because of your circumstances. www.writetothem.com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X