• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

My new car has been taken by JBW

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new car has been taken by JBW

I'm a first time poster, I have had a read of posts with similar situations and wanted some advice on my situation.

I purchased a used car last week, completed all relevant pre purchase checks hpi etc. A few days ago I returned home from work to find the car missing. First thing I thought was it has been stolen so I called the police to report it who advised me first to call "trace" who would have a log if it had been removed by a council or by dvla. I called them a d was told they had no record of it being removed and advised to call the Police. I asked a few neighbours who confirmed they had seen a recovery truck take the car and had mentioned JBW who I managed eventually to find a contact for. When I called them it was out of hours and the person I spoke to was very helpful and advised to email proof of purchase, insurance new keeper supplement which would be looked at by the legal team the next day and would hear back from them and have the car returned to me.

I received a generic confirmation email stating they had received and would get back to me within 10 working days.

I called jbw again the following day for an update which I was told that they would speak directly to the bailiff while I was on the phone who stated the as soon as the legal team authorised release, the car would be returned and advised to call back the following day.

I called again on the third day and was told that no one had looked at the email and I would have to wait for a response which would be upto 10 working days. When I queried what the issue was I was told it was parking fines linked to the vehicle/previous owner which the car was still registered to (as dvla had not yet processed the new v5c) and could not give any further information due to data protection (I asked which council it was etc). I was told that IF it was released I would have to collect it myself but again would not disclose where it was being held/location of impound.

Where do I stand in this situation, I have provided relevant information and am without my car and if they hopefully release it will have to myself arrange to collect it from wherever it is they are holding it.
    Tags: None

Do I assume you have only spoken to JBW over the phone?

Comment

Can you provide any or all of the following:

Was the sale private or trade
      Did you know the previous owner
      How did you pay
      Is the vehicle on finance & if so what type
      Do you have a copy of the advert listing it for sale
      Do you have a proper printed receipt
      Can you provide proof of how payment was made
      Can you provide proof of purchase of Road Fund Licence prior to driving the vehicle
      Can you provide proof of purchase of relevant Insurance Cover prior to driving the vehicle

When the vehicle was removed where was it parked?

Comment

Yes I have only spoken to them on the phone. The car was taken from the public road outside of my house where it was parked legally. I live over 30 miles from the previous owner and have no affiliation with them whatsoever ever. I have provided the receipt I was given, it was a trade sale but sold as seen as it had a few minor issues, copy of insurance, no finance outstanding,

Comment

Originally posted by Triplesfj View Post

I called again on the third day and was told that no one had looked at the email and I would have to wait for a response which would be upto 10 working days. When I queried what the issue was I was told it was parking fines linked to the vehicle/previous owner which the car was still registered to (as dvla had not yet processed the new v5c) and could not give any further information due to data protection (I asked which council it was etc). I was told that IF it was released I would have to collect it myself but again would not disclose where it was being held/location of impound.

Where do I stand in this situation, I have provided relevant information and am without my car and if they hopefully release it will have to myself arrange to collect it from wherever it is they are holding it.
          What you need to be doing is to resend an email and make sure that you in the subject box you state that you are making a Part 85 Third Party Claim.

It is usual for this company and all others to ask that you provide documentary evidence along the lines outlined by Ploddertom above. What the company will be trying to ascertain is whether you have purchased the vehicle in good faith and without knowledge of the debt owed.

Suspect claims are where a person claims to have purchased a vehicle after finding a 'for sale' sign on the vehicle when it was parked on the road and where the new 'purchaser' pays in cash and strangely, insures the car in his name until AFTER the vehicle has been removed by an enforcement agent.

Genuine purchasers (such as in your case), will have genuine evidence which should lead to the release of the car fairly quickly.

PS: Yours is a very common situation indeed. Please do post back with an update.

Comment

An update...

So they Still have control of my car. They rejected the new keepers v5c and wanted a full upto date one showing I am the owner which I sent as soon as I received it. I sent an email with the above subject regarding p85 third party claim which I have had nothing in reply. When I phoned to get an update I was told it will take 10 working days for the legal team to respond.
            They want confirmation of tax which I dont have- i paid for 6 months road tax online but dont have any confirmation.

Comment

Road Tax - you paid online - how? Should show on whatever card you used. Part 85 claim is an application made at Court., read this https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...executed-goods

Comment

Yes I paid online, I have a bank statement which shows the transaction but it has no reference linking it to the specific car. From what I understand regarding part 85 claim- it should have been made withing 7 days? And the cost is around £255 to lodge with court and then need to show funding up to the value of the vehicle

Comment

Hi just wondering if you managed to get your car back as I also had my car taken by jbw in March while staying in London for the weekend
                  after sending all the documents they have asked for they are still refusing to release the car I still don’t know the location of the vehicle as they are saying they cannot disclose that information they have had the car almost 3 months now and I’m struggling to fight with them any longer as the situation had got me down I have two small kids and it’s been a struggle to get from place to place lately as they are both in school and I cannot afford another car the police say they cannot get involved as this is a civil matter but surely they can’t keep the car as Iv provided them with all they have asked for can they ?
                  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comment

@Blisher this thread is over a year old - read dates before posting.

Comment

you pay your money and take your chance as we all do, old thread this, not a vehicle recommendation go to car reviews

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                      Working...
                      X