• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Rooftops South West Ltd & Ors v Ash Interiors (UK) Ltd [2018] EWHC 2799 (QB)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooftops South West Ltd & Ors v Ash Interiors (UK) Ltd [2018] EWHC 2799 (QB)

An interesting and somewhat rare case on the use of High Court Enforcement Officers. I should say that the judge appears to be very scathing and critical of DCBL who were the agents used to enforce the debt.

Bailli case link

Civil Litigation Brief commentary on the case

44. It remains to deal with what I have called DCBL's overarching defence. This found its clearest expression in paragraph 29 of the witness statement of Ms Miah dated 10 October 2017. In that paragraph she said as follows:

"DCBL are commanded by the High Court to enforce the High Court writ. As such, all conduct by DCBL was carried out lawfully."

45. Paragraph 32 was along somewhat similar lines:

"If the defendant had dealt with the execution of the writ promptly and payment was forthcoming, there would have been no need for the boat to be seized or removed."

(This indeed comprised the opening part of Mr Shale's cross-examination of Mr Slocombe.)

46. These paragraphs, particularly the first, demonstrated a lamentable misunderstanding of the true legal position. Paragraph 19 of the National Standards for Enforcement Agents, published by the Ministry of Justice on 6 April 2014, states:

"Enforcement agents must act within the law at all times, including all legislation ..."

47. A Writ of Control is not to be regarded as a kind of blank cheque or a licence to act with impunity. Wisely, neither Mr Shale nor Mr Royle relied upon or referred to this part of their clients' case in their submissions. However, it is astonishing and concerning that their clients, a body and an individual acting under statutory licence, should have done so. Taken together with the multiple breaches of procedure and the absence of proper records that I have referred to, the apparent lack of recognition or insight on the part of the persons concerned, the lackadaisical and dismissive attitude of DCBL to these proceedings and the fact that what oversight the third defendant exercised with respect to DCBL was and is apparently rendered from Florida, there are grounds to consider terminating the third defendant's authorisation to act as an enforcement officer under Regulation 12 of The High Court Enforcement Officers Regulations 2004. I will refer the case to the Senior Master for consideration of that course. She may also wish to consider the position of Messrs Short, Star and Wesson.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

This is a case that has been discussed in several places of late. One of the problems that crops up a lot is no Notice of Enforcement being received before DCBL turn up on the doorstep and as said in the above case they were criticised because they obviously did not send them. It appears they have still not learned any lessons because they still do the same now.

The Authorised HCEO was heavily criticised because at all times they are accountable for the actions & charges of their attending Enforcement Agents. In this case there is quite a time difference and as such the Authorised HCEO cannot be contacted. There is nothing in the Regulations that state where a High Court Enforcement Officer must reside and there are a few who live in Europe but the time difference for them is at most a couple of hours not the several hours for the one listed who lives in the USA.

Comment

Thank you for that Ploddertom, I've not read the full judgment as yet and rather interesting about the notice being on the systems (do we know if this could have been manipulated by users?) but no evidence other than that. Judges of course do and often criticize parties but to go at lengths such as this, DBCL and co must have really peed this Master off.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

The full Judgment makes interesting reading as there is fault all over but the worst is reserved for both DCBL & their HCEO.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X