• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Kassam v Gill (unreported) 13 August 2018 Case BM80119A (Birmingham County Court)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kassam v Gill (unreported) 13 August 2018 Case BM80119A (Birmingham County Court)

This is a rare case where the Court has taken the opportunity to consider what is meant by "conduct of litigation" under the Legal Services Act 2007. It is an appeal against the order for possession under the Housing Act 1988.

Under the appeal, HHJ Worster considered whether a Claimant by ticking the online claim form satisfied the statement of truth requirement under CPR 22.1(6). He also provided a helpful analysis of what constitutes "conduct of litigation" under the LSA 2007 and whether the firm, who were instructed by the Claimants and were not solicitors, had carried out an act amounting to conduct of litigation by completing the online form.
    Attached Files
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.
    Tags: None

Interesting. Thanks Rob.

I think it was right the claimant's claim didn't fail due to the shortcomings of the 'chuck out a lodger' firm. Not sure what actual consequences there are/were for the firm though in the end?
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I agree with you and I think the Court's have previously shown their disapproval for arguments to strike out a case on a technicality like this where the claim itself is perfectly valid, but that's litigation for you!

As for the non-qualified solicitors firm, I don't think much would be done to them really since they are not regulated by anyone. The SRA could impose a sanction of not allowing them to be authorised as a firm of solicitors or carry out reserved legal activities without first seeking their permission but I think the conduct of litigation argument was something that perhaps needed clarifying since there is so little case law on the LSA and what actions fall into the various reserved legal activities.

If anything, I would think the SRA might give them a warning, and that's assuming the SRA has picked up on this case otherwise it might have slipped through the net.
      If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      LEGAL DISCLAIMER
      Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
      Working...
      X