• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Scaffolding on my land

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scaffolding on my land

Good morning...

The man who owns the property next to mine has erected scaffolding on the gable end of his property...this scaffolding is entirely on my land and was placed without permission.

It's completely in my way and is preventing me from being able to use the land.

i have sent numerous texts to both the scaffolding company and to the property owner..which has prompted absolutely no effort to remove the scaffolding.

I then had a visit from the property owner yesterday evening who stated that due to him buying the property from his wife.. no work can be carried out on the property therefore the scaffolding would be remaining for quite a while as " its doing me no harm.."
    This is no correct and I want it removed immediately.

He has also threatened me saying "your f##king with the wrong guy..." This is abhorrent and makes me very angry..and enthused about getting the equipment off my land even more...

Any thoughts..?
    Tags: None

How very frustrating for you.
    I particularly like how he thinks the issue of him buying a property from his wife justifies an even longer delay. My petty mind thinks....divorce deals, I wonder why they split!??

Right, if he did not have your express permission to install the scaffold, then he should have applied to court under the Access to Neighbouring Land Act 1992. I am assuming he did neither?
    Your neighbour and his scaffolders have committed trespass. This is a civil matter, no need for police involvement....they wont anyway.

Two options:
    You have the legal right to remove the scaffold yourself/another firm, so long as it is secure and available for the scaffold company to retrieve. You should give the neighbour and scaffold firm 24hrs notice before doing this (unless emergency access required). The scaffold must not be damaged. Photo EVERYTHING.

Give neighbour 24hrs notice of an emergency injunction to the county court to get the scaffold removed, all costs to be met by him.

For the second option, you would be best to hire a solicitor, apart from anything else, they know how to make the courts act faster and how to enforce any injunction.

You may also wish to make a report to your local police about his threats and that an escalation in the dispute could lead to him breaching the peace, making further threats. Be careful and calm in all dealings with him, the law is on your side.
    "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

Further to the above you can charge for use of your land during the period of use.
      £100 / week in advance paid monthly is reasonable.
      Get it in a contract with a termination date which if exceeded will then incur and additional fee of say £250 per extra week.

Comment

I wouldn't advise trying to remove it yourself, as they are difficult to put up (they need a competent person with experience to do that), it would need a competent person to dismantle scaffolding (Health and Safety - hard hats etc).

Comment

Thanks for the reply..

I can take the scaffolding down however have nowhere to store it..hence the need to take it down...I've talked to a solicitor about them carrying out the work however they've advised fees of circa 400-500 ...a cost that unless I go to court, I may not be able to retrieve..and I would really hate being out of pocket in order to remove something from my own land...how could I threaten with a court injunction "at the neighbours cost"?...

I'm confident around doing legal action myself..are there any templates out there to get me started..

Comment

The property owner wouldn't want to pay 100 per week for the use,he is quite a unsavoury character and I wouldn't trust him either way..plus I need the land back not really the money...

Comment

Any thoughts on my last 2 posts..

Comment

Write (first class post with free certificate of posting from PO) telling him that he has 14 days in which to have the scaffolding removed from your property.
                Warn him that if he fails you will apply for a court injunction ordering him to remove it, together with an adverse costs order.

If he fails we can assist you in drafting the court application

PS an attempt at charging for the use of your land has no standing in law as there is no contract between you

Comment

Will do..thanks Des8

Comment

I would say 7 days is more appropriate and I would also start filling in the forms now so on day 8 you are ready to act.

Comment

Originally posted by des8 View Post

PS an attempt at charging for the use of your land has no standing in law as there is no contract between you
                      A contract isn’t required if the Op claims mesne profits ,it should equate to the rental value of the land they are occupying through the trespass. And in theory you have double course of action as the scaffolding company are liable also as they trespassed to erect the scaffolding which is owned by them.

In fact I would send a letter to the scaffolding company tomorrow informing them that unless their scaffolding is removed from your land within 48hrs as the scaffolding was erected by them and is owned by them you will immediately instigate action in the courts and will seeking damages in the form of mesne profits for the trespass which will equate to the normal rental value of the land they are occupying
                      Last edited by Ukmicky; 26th October 2021, 21:57:PM.

Comment

What i said was that the OP could not make a charge for use of the land.
                        I did not say that he could not make a claim for user damages. Damages awarded in this type of case are for loss of a bargaining opportunity.
                        Making a claim is not the same as making a charge, and due to its possible cost, stress and uncertainty I would not recommend anyone going down that route without a firm understanding of what it involves

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
                        Working...
                        X