• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Car VT Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car VT Issue

Hi,
    I have just looked at updated guidance on the above which was issued in 2016. My issue is that I have received a bill for £1696 for repairs to the vehicle after returning the said vehicle under a VT. I have received this bill from a remarketing company (auction house) which is acting as agent for the finance company. My issue is that I attended the auction of the said vehicle and know beyond doubt that it was sold WITHOUT the repairs being carried out. However they are still chasing payment for repairs that have ultimately not been carried out. Can they still chase payment?
    Regards,
    Bootsfire1.
    Tags: None

Re: Car VT Issue

Hello, few questions

1. Who is the lender?
    2. Was the car brand new or second hand?
    2. Did they break down those repair costs?
    3. Did you receive a report from them when the car was first collected and any subsequent report? Did you also take any photos prior to collection of the vehicle?
    4. If yes to the above, how does that compare?
    5. How does it compare to the CAP Standards example in the VT guidance?

There is a general duty to mitigate any losses in contract law though not a legal one, but the Courts would expect parties to mitigate any loss i.e. to minimise their losses and ensure that loss does not increase. If they fail to do that then they cannot claim for those increased losses.

It is up to the lender to prove that the car was not in a reasonable condition and what they are entitled to is not the costs of damages because you are not required to put it in a standard better than it was when you purchased it but simply the difference between the market value of same-type car in a reasonable condition and the market value of the car in its current condition. Again, the lender has to supply that evidence, but it doesn't prevent you from obtaining alternative evidence yourself i.e. car valuation websites, Glass's Guide, Parkers etc.

So the answer to your question is likely to some extent be no, but you need to be realistic and honest and if there is anything that is unreasonable, you should perhaps negotiate what you can agree on and it will at least show you have been reasonable in coming to some kind of agreement.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Hi R0b,
      Thanks V much for your reply. In answer to your questions:

1. The lender was PSA Finance T/A Autobank. The agents are G3 remarketing.
      2. 2nd Hand bought from Arnold Clarkes.
      3. Yes. They sent a report with the invoice.
      4. They left me a condition report which highlighted minor scratches etc. which I would class as FW&T according to CAP standards, this report differs quite significantly from the detailed one I received. I took no photos.
      5. N/A.
      6. See 4 above.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

I think the answers lay in my previous post and your latest one, the question as to what you want to do moving forward is entirely up to you.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
        Working...
        X